Subscribe

Forum

Organic to analytical chemistry

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Organic to analytical chemistry

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Steven Z.

No one here is suggesting that a lifetime full of temp jobs is worth doing. All we've ever said about "temping" can be summed up by saying that it's OK to do for a short while, to solve a problem, to get off the job market, to re-orient yourself into a new career niche, and so on. Not a place to work as a career because the pay, the zero benefits, etc, all make a ding in your lifetime earnings and job happiness. But, certainly a temp stint is not worthy of the damnation you apply to it. Agree it doesn't look good on a CV when you go for more than a few months.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
“I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgment, it takes place every day.” - Albert Camus
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Organic to analytical chemistry

Postby Andrew » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:10 am

I hire a lot of chemists and never use temp agencies. I feel the quality of the people that go through them is much lower than the one's that find us directly. There was a time that I did not have control over the hiring and my organization used a temp agency to staff with the idea that we could go temp to perm. The quality of the hires was way lower than what I was used to. The few good ones we made permanent within a few months and they will likely never need to go through a temp agency again. When I see a resume with multiple temp assignments, that is equivalent in my mind to an employee that has had multiple short term permanent jobs. I figured they are weak performers that either don't know how to get a job or how to keep a job.

There are many fewer jobs in organic chemistry than in analytical as a lot of synthesis is being done in China and India now. I find that organic chemists look for jobs and need to be retrained as analytical chemists. They often make good analytical chemists as they know how molecules are put together so they tend to be good forensic investigators. They often also come with an instrumental base skill set that we can build on.
Andrew

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum