Subscribe

Forum

Finding a PhD

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Finding a PhD

Postby Hadeel B. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Greetings for everyone in here, I really appreciate your answers, replies and valuable suggestions.

An update: I want to inform you that I was awarded a Marie Curie Sklodowska Scholarship to study PhD in the United kingdom.

Thank you so much for your support.

Hadeel
Hadeel B.

Postby Emily G » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:12 am

Hadeel:

It is very competitive to gain a PhD, I work on PhD programmes that can receive over 300 applications!! This does not mean you should give up on your dream, far from it. My advice would be to keep trying and in the mean time get more experience in laboratory research if at all possible. The most competitive candidates that apply have worked in a relevant scientific job, for example in the pharmaceutical industry or even work shadowing in various lab environments. This will help demonstrate your passion and commitment.

The good news is there is no age limit to start a PhD and the more experience you get before the more prepared you are for the PhD research project when you do get started.

We currently have an active scholarship competition open at the University of Sheffield for a wide range of projects across the Faculty of Science. Please see our website for details and contact relevant supervisors if any of the project titles are of interest to you:
https://goo.gl/11vJ9w
Deadline is 24th January to apply.

Good luck with your applications
BW
Emily
Emily G

Postby PG » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Congratulations on finding a position. It is always good to hear when things work out for people on the forum. IF you have more questions or advice that you can provide to others about what you think actually made it work out for you please let us know and you might be able to help others that find themselves in a similar position.
PG

Postby Emily G » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:20 am

Congratulations, just spotted your update about getting a PhD position in the UK.
Great news, well done. I wish you all the best in your studies
Emily
Emily G

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum