Subscribe

Forum

NO WORD FROM POSSIBLE POSTDOC PI

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

NO WORD FROM POSSIBLE POSTDOC PI

Postby Liv U. » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi, I need help/ advise how to deal with my situation or what to think about it.

I am finishing my PhD and looking for postdoc position in US. I have inicial face-to-face meeting with prospective lab/PI. the interview went well at the end we agreed that I will have skype call with lab members. This was also OK and PI told me that we will continue call together however something important came up and he cancelled so I spoke only with lab members. ThanI wrote him that I enjoyed talking with lab members and when he will have more time we can continue. He wrote back that he is bussy now and that we should speak in few week. So after few weeks I wrote him again when he will have time or what will be the next step. And his response was neutral, that we should reconnect in 3-4 weeks when he will know how lab member status looks like. This was the confusing part because he was advertising a postdoc positions and I know that he already hired one guy when I was interviewed.

So I am confused according to our previous talk in person next step should be invitation to campus if skype with lab members went well. However from that point I have no info, I would say that skype went well they seems nice. The 3-4 weeks period is ending so I am confused know whether should I contact him again, or should I just prepare myself that he won't invited me on campus interview.
Liv U.

Re: NO WORD FROM POSSIBLE POSTDOC PI

Postby Ana » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi Liv,

I think it would be good for you to contact him again, but overall it seems that the PI is not too interested in getting you into his lab. I hope you are talking to other PIs and having other interviews, and if you don't then it would be the time to start contacting other PIs. Don't rely on this one lab, it is not looking too promising.

Ana
Ana

Re: NO WORD FROM POSSIBLE POSTDOC PI

Postby Liv U. » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi Ana, thanks for honesty, I have another lab where PI seems to be more interested
in couple of days we should plan my visit. so looks promising. However the first lab was 1 choice so I am bit disappointed. Especially after face to face meeting when we both were on the "same way".
Liv U.

Return to Science Careers Forum