Subscribe

Forum

Moral dilemma with boss

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Moral dilemma with boss

Postby D.X. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:59 am

Hi all,

I've been in a similar Situation re: co-worker who was found guilty of Research fraud by the ORI.

When I did find out, I didn't do anything about it. Why? It's not my Job to intefere with people's personal affairs. And I don't care how much of a grade A Piece of work he was, its not my Job and interest, nor should it be yours. This is an HR issue and unless you see something that is directly related to those Actions (fraud) he committed and you can be directly or directly impacted by it, then table it! Your complaints are about his Management style. That's a separate issue, respond to that.

Now others will say it is your Moral and ethical responsiblity to blah blah blah blah blah, horsepoo, horsepoo. Unless you are Aware that there is similar behavior going on with confirmed evidence, then i advise you stay silent, do you Job and manage the way you would manage without this Piece of Information. Unless you have current evidence that this behavior is going on today in your Company, then the only one who will lose...is you!!!

Avoid entagling relationships with HR and Management that, in the end, will negatively Impact you.

As far as Steven Z's last comment about wanted to work for a smaller Company - due to what i interprate as his perceived better morals and ethics....ha ha..ha...ha....thanks for the laugh. Seriously? (i've been in both big and small companies).

I hear your Points and I don't negate validity there..but...I'm with Dave he summed it up nicely. We can go in endless discussion here that's not relevant to the Forum.

DX
D.X.

Re: Moral dilemma with boss

Postby Steven Z. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:17 pm

You bet I enjoy working for a smaller company (not some clueless mom an pop startup though) where people actually see the value I produce instead of having 5 layers of managers I've never met in another state looking for ways to save money by bleeping over or laying off workers because all they see is a title, employee number, and salary.

If you want to find a great company to work for that treats there workers ethically, look at their use of temp agencies and look at turnover. At my current job there are hardly any temps and the couple times we had them they were hired within weeks if they were decent and I can count the number of voluntary quits on one hand. At my last job the place was packed with temps that they never hired and I can count on one hand the number of workers still there several years later, even my former boss has moved on.
Steven Z.

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum