Subscribe

Forum

How to react when contacted by a recruiter

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

How to react when contacted by a recruiter

Postby Ralf K. » Tue May 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Dear Forum,
I have searched the olter threads but couldn't exactly find my answer.

In short: A recruiter wants to add me on linkedin and wrote me that she/he is specialized in my field and has an opportunity and wants to talk to me.
I am quiet flattered, but the company I work for is one of the top 5 or 10 companies in my area and I am not completely unhappy here. Nevertheless I like to have "a spare tyre" for any case.

My question: How shall I behave towards a head hunter/recruiter, while I am currently not activetly looking for opportunities? Shall I tell them straight away that I am not available at the moment or simply have a nice phone call but be straight? I would like to have their inputs to know what they are looking for so I can build up my skills but I don't want to create false hopes or waste their time. Maybe in 6 months or 1 year I might be open?!

Thanks for your input.
Ralf K.

Re: How to react when contacted by a recruiter

Postby Rich Lemert » Tue May 09, 2017 4:39 pm

I think the best approach is to be honest about your interests and expectations. You are not currently seeking any new opportunities, but you might be interested in what the market has to offer at some future date. In the mean time you appreciate being able to be kept up to date on current industry needs.

Remember that networks are a recruiter's lifeblood - he doesn't have to place you to benefit from being connected to you. After all, you might be able to connect him to someone else who's ready for the next step but unlikely to get an opportunity to do so at their current location.

Also, keep in mind that there's a difference between "not looking at the moment" and "not willing to consider a new position." You never know when he might present you with an opportunity that's too good to pass up.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue May 09, 2017 6:42 pm

As usual, Rich's advice is good. There are reasons to foster a developing relationship if that person works in your area of expertise.

If I were you, I'd link to the recruiter on LinkedIn. It won't hurt you-- instead, you may hear about something you may not know about. For example, a startup company in your field. Recruiters may also simply be looking to increase their network in an area, and your link will help them get linked with others. You won't know if that's the case, but it really doesn't hurt you either. So I can't think of a reason not to accept a link.

Once you link, he or she will have access to your email address, and they can write you directly (if you have your contact info on your LinkedIn page). Ask the recruiter to send you the job details, and promise to let them know if you have any networking suggestions for them on contacts they can make. Then, read over what they send and if you think of a good contact or two, send them to the recruiter. Ask that they not use your name, and they'll keep the referral confidential. By earning their good graces, you'll get future calls and perhaps one day, you'll see something that intrigues you or that comes at the right time.

Dave Jensen, Founder & Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Steven Z. » Tue May 09, 2017 9:57 pm

If they are a direct hire recruiter I allow them to connect and am cordial with them.

If they are from a staffing agency Kelly/Aerotek/Medix/fly by night I completely ignore them and do not let them connect.
Steven Z.

Postby D.X. » Wed May 10, 2017 3:59 am

Steven Z. wrote:If they are a direct hire recruiter I allow them to connect and am cordial with them.

If they are from a staffing agency Kelly/Aerotek/Medix/fly by night I completely ignore them and do not let them connect.

Becareful here on the advise here, many staffing agencies also work as recruiters such as Kelly. I.e. the have the exclusive Mandate to fill a full time FTE (not temporary).

As stated by Rich - state your objectives clearly - i.e. not interested in temporary staffing positions only full time FTE roles linked to your career objectives and state to them the condition of future talks will be linked only to what you're looking for. Also because they may be in staffing they may have intelligence on emerging positions or companies, it up to you to build a Rapport. If you find the discussion and agency is not worth it AFTER a discussion, you are free to tell them that a continued discussion is not worth while, ask them to take you off thier list.

You can always disconnect them later from your linkedin. Trust me, you Network is not that valuable to them..they got a few hundred other People with a Network so don't get too "high" and "mighty" about yours.

And some here on the Forum ARE open to staffing ops. I know many who did do staffing ops and got in full time.

Of course you StevenZ have had your experiences (negative) which you have already shared in another thread so please - no Need for you to re-hash here. Its been heard.

Best,

DX
D.X.

Postby Dick Woodward » Wed May 10, 2017 8:05 am

The advice that you have been given is excellent. May I also suggest that you review an article written by Dave Jensen and I entitled "Care and Feeding of Executive Recruiters"? (http://www.contractpharma.com/issues/2008-01/view_managing-your-career/the-care-and-feeding-of-executive-recruiters/). This contains some additional informtation that you may find helpful.

Dick
Dick Woodward

Postby Steven Z. » Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 am

If you allow a staffing agency recruiter to connect they will most likely:

-annoy you with their crap jobs like $15 an hour running HPLC third shift
-annoy your contacts with crap jobs
-annoy your supervisory/manager contacts with sales calls
-try to convince you to come to their office and fill out their paperwork to add you to their database (the recruiters have contact quota as a performance metric).

They tend not to be a good source of desirable jobs and they tend to be sleazy and inefficient to work with.

Seeing a job with a staffing agency is like seeing mold on your bread. If you are starving to death you might take it otherwise dump it.
Steven Z.

Postby Ana » Wed May 10, 2017 10:52 am

I never had a bad experience connecting to a recruiter in LinkedIn. And even if I am not looking for jobs I am always interested in knowing who's hiring, so when I am contacted by phone or email by a recruiter I often refer them to other colleagues who I think might be interested in hearing about positions. Just like Dave, I can't think of a reason not to accept a link.
Ana

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed May 10, 2017 11:50 am

Steven Z. wrote:Seeing a job with a staffing agency is like seeing mold on your bread. If you are starving to death you might take it otherwise dump it.

Hi Steven,

I thought you were asked very politely to cease and desist in the responses above? You've made your point, you clearly have a chip on your shoulder or some different/unique view of the world to share -- but you've already done that, so please not again.

Let's let people make their own mind up about whether to accept LinkedIn invites. Beyond the advice above, I would say that any recruiter who is professional about what they do could be considered a quality link. If you find some kind of inexperienced, unprofessional kind of conduct or approach, of course, don't link to that person. Best to just use common sense in that regard.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Steven Z. » Wed May 10, 2017 12:08 pm

I just think the OP should be made aware that opening himself and his network up to a staffing agency recruiter may bring unwanted solicitations especially now when unemployment is 4.5% their bottom of the barrel jobs aren't nearly as attractive as they were in 2009 so they may be more desperate.

I once was contacted twice by Manpower I probably had contacts with them way back when when I was looking for jobs at Abbvie/Abbott Labs. They handle a lot of their contract work. This was the result.

Yes it's real. I saved the email.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Steven Z,

We came across your details on line and reviewed your qualifications and think you might be a great fit for a Janitorial position in Waukegan, IL [Abbvie].

Position pays $10.50 per hours.

This is a great opportunity for long term assignment.

This position may be filled quickly, and we'd love to hear from you right away to see if there's a fit.

We know how busy you are, so don't worry about scheduling time to talk to one of us. Simply click the link below, and you'll have the chance to tell us about yourself any time, day or night. It shouldn't take you longer than 5-10 minutes.
Interested? After you click the link, you'll get to learn more details about the position. You can stop at any point if the job is not for you.

If you're not available or are already working with another Manpower recruiter, feel free to disregard this email.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Begin by clicking below:

If you are still having trouble, please reply to name_redacted@manpowergroup.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know if Abbvie started requiring MS degrees for janitors of if manpower's recruiters are cerebrally challenged.

In addition I've at times been so annoyed with them calling my cell phone I've had to block their numbers and look into switching my cell phone number. It got tiresome getting calls: Hello we have a great opportunity for you to take a >50% pay cut and not have benefits nor job security. No thanks I have a real job.
Steven Z.

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum