Subscribe

Forum

Research assistant or postdoc position

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Research assistant or postdoc position

Postby Selimonushka » Tue May 09, 2017 4:08 pm

HI everyone,

I am a medical doctor (IMG) from Turkmenistan. I will be graduating this year from my medical school and I would like to get a research assistant or postdoctoral position in basic departments in USA. I am not a permanent resident of the US. I have a little scientific experience (skills: gel electrophoresis, PCR, real-time PCR) and much clinical experience.
Questions:
1) Would it be difficult to me to get a paid position with my experiences/skills in the US?
2) Could you please give me advice how to get the position? I have already sent about 100 emails with my resume to professors of US universities, but unfortunately, there are many negative replies.
3) Maybe I need some more laboratory techniques skills like ELISE, flow cytometry, e.t.c ?
Selimonushka

Re: Research assistant or postdoc position

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue May 09, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello,

Yes, it will be very difficult to get a job like you've described in the States, because there are many people graduating from USA institutions with their own special areas of expertise that might be equally qualified and with less "costs to hire" than you would have. Companies hiring you would have to deal with the immigration issues and so forth, which are so detailed that we can't get into them here in a lot of specifics.

The best approach would be to find others who are from your country, and who have found employment in North America and talk to them. How did THEY do it? What skills do they recommend that you add to your physician-scientist package? Also, remember that language skills and communication will be right at the top of the list of things that employers will be concerned about as well.

Good luck, and I hope you have other comments here from our audience.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Selimonushka » Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 am

Thank you Dave for advice!
Selimonushka

Postby D.X. » Thu May 11, 2017 1:58 am

Hi.

You didn't disclose what you ultimate Goal is - i.e. settle in the US etc. to be a scientist but you did mention clinical experience.

One Option you can explore is to call the US Army.

They had a program for foreign Nurses and Doctors to serve on active duty in those roles, at which after a certain number of years you would be granted US citizenship. Of course not reseach but you may get paid clinical Training/experience under a US umbrella.

See if the program still exists if you're interested - however as noted they would probably want you to be a physician and not a scientist as a first step. I'm sure they don't get too many Folks with your language - which could be advantageous for other uses they may have. Doesnt' hurt to call.

Best,

DX
D.X.

Postby Selimonushka » Thu May 11, 2017 10:00 am

Hello D.X,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll think about it. However, I guess if I wanted to work as a nurse or a physician, I would need a licensed certification (ecfmg) to work legally in the US Army.
I will try to explain correctly. I will be graduating this year from my medical school. At some future occasion, I would eventually like to continue my education in the US, pursuing a residency in internal medicine.
My goal is to pass successfully usmle exams, receive ecfmg certification and apply for medical residency in the US. For my opinion, the best opportunity is to do a research while preparing for the exams.
In addition, the good things are I would have a visa support, get new lab experiences, possibly receive a letter of recommendation from professor and of course, I would improve my English skills.

I hope you could understand my English.

Respectfully,
Selim Rozyev
Selimonushka

Return to Science Careers Forum