Page 1 of 1

Research assistant or postdoc position

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:08 pm
by Selimonushka
HI everyone,

I am a medical doctor (IMG) from Turkmenistan. I will be graduating this year from my medical school and I would like to get a research assistant or postdoctoral position in basic departments in USA. I am not a permanent resident of the US. I have a little scientific experience (skills: gel electrophoresis, PCR, real-time PCR) and much clinical experience.
1) Would it be difficult to me to get a paid position with my experiences/skills in the US?
2) Could you please give me advice how to get the position? I have already sent about 100 emails with my resume to professors of US universities, but unfortunately, there are many negative replies.
3) Maybe I need some more laboratory techniques skills like ELISE, flow cytometry, e.t.c ?

Re: Research assistant or postdoc position

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:00 pm
by Dave Jensen

Yes, it will be very difficult to get a job like you've described in the States, because there are many people graduating from USA institutions with their own special areas of expertise that might be equally qualified and with less "costs to hire" than you would have. Companies hiring you would have to deal with the immigration issues and so forth, which are so detailed that we can't get into them here in a lot of specifics.

The best approach would be to find others who are from your country, and who have found employment in North America and talk to them. How did THEY do it? What skills do they recommend that you add to your physician-scientist package? Also, remember that language skills and communication will be right at the top of the list of things that employers will be concerned about as well.

Good luck, and I hope you have other comments here from our audience.

Dave Jensen, Moderator

Re: Research assistant or postdoc position

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 am
by Selimonushka
Thank you Dave for advice!

Re: Research assistant or postdoc position

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:58 am
by D.X.

You didn't disclose what you ultimate Goal is - i.e. settle in the US etc. to be a scientist but you did mention clinical experience.

One Option you can explore is to call the US Army.

They had a program for foreign Nurses and Doctors to serve on active duty in those roles, at which after a certain number of years you would be granted US citizenship. Of course not reseach but you may get paid clinical Training/experience under a US umbrella.

See if the program still exists if you're interested - however as noted they would probably want you to be a physician and not a scientist as a first step. I'm sure they don't get too many Folks with your language - which could be advantageous for other uses they may have. Doesnt' hurt to call.



Re: Research assistant or postdoc position

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:00 am
by Selimonushka
Hello D.X,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll think about it. However, I guess if I wanted to work as a nurse or a physician, I would need a licensed certification (ecfmg) to work legally in the US Army.
I will try to explain correctly. I will be graduating this year from my medical school. At some future occasion, I would eventually like to continue my education in the US, pursuing a residency in internal medicine.
My goal is to pass successfully usmle exams, receive ecfmg certification and apply for medical residency in the US. For my opinion, the best opportunity is to do a research while preparing for the exams.
In addition, the good things are I would have a visa support, get new lab experiences, possibly receive a letter of recommendation from professor and of course, I would improve my English skills.

I hope you could understand my English.

Selim Rozyev