Subscribe

Forum

Choosing research area in the interface of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Choosing research area in the interface of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry?

Postby XMM » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:57 am

I'm going to apply for my Master's program in Organic Chemistry. Apparently there's not much careers for a synthetic chemist and medicinal chemist in the upcoming future, so I'm thinking about working with a professor I know on Biochemistry, in particular Proteomics. I can possibly work in the field of Computational Chemistry as well, but only in the context of Biochemistry. I also intend to get a Ph.D abroad.

I'm going to choose this path with the hope that I would be make my options more open, my concern is would this choice actually narrow down my choices too much? Or should I be concerned when I'm going to apply for Ph.D and choose a field there?
XMM

Re: Choosing research area in the interface of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry?

Postby PG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 am

Although it is good to look ahead and think abuot your future career options I also think that chosing a topic for your PhD that you are very interested in needs to get priority. Pursuing a masters degree followed by a PhD is too many years and too much effort for it to be possible to achieve unless you chose a topic that you really like.

Also since we are talking about several years to complete these activities the job market may have changed significantly when you are ready. There will always be a need for chemists in different types of positions and there are usually various ways that you can tweek your work and work with your network to adjust your future career path.

In short it is good to look forward and it may be useful to do some form of reallity check of your career plans but dont chose your field of research based on what you think the Labour market will look like in 5-10 years from now.
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum