Subscribe

Forum

Most suitable job type

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Most suitable job type

Postby Denise » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:06 am

Hi,

During my degree and PhD I spent much of my spare time involved in various aspects of sports development and I loved it. I had plenty initiative to create new ideas, design their implementation strategies and manage teams that coordinated them. I worked on a wide range of projects including international competitions, establishing new clubs, coach/judge education etc. I have just moved from Europe to the US for my first postdoc which I started recently and have given up these sports projects due to the move.

I really enjoy research and the postdoc project is fascinating. However, down the line I would like to work in a position that uses these other aptitudes to their fullest and most likely in industry. If I can combine them with my love for science then all the better. I have a few questions:

1) Firstly, what type of position/job description would best suit these types of skills?

2) Should I be thinking of getting additional qualifications to have 'formal' training in these areas?

2) All these activites were purely voluntary so what is the best way to represent these points in my CV?

3) Finally, I have no industry experience. Do these skills in any way compensate for this?

I should add that my research is immunology based and not sports related in any way nor have I any inclination to switch to sports based research.

Any and all advice appreciated,

Denise
Denise

Most suitable job type

Postby John Fetzer » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:31 am

Denise,

Those types of skills are highly valued in industry and are usually expected of employees with at least five years (and more often ten years) of experience. They translate into project leadership and management roles, team building and leading, and several other skill areas. Most companies either expect young scientists to learn them over time or through training (another opportunity area for you), but not from a starting person.

In you CV and resume you can create a separate category for other skills or relevant activities. I have seen that on resumes for people that ran a charitable fund raising that involved organizing, budgets, and coordinating peoples' work.

Once in a position, let others, and especially tour supervisor, know of your experience and keen interest in these areas. They will look for opportunities. Most scientists, because of personality, do not like these types of work. Thus, your inclinations are valuable assets.
John Fetzer

Most suitable job type

Postby Denise » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:04 pm

Thanks for the advice John, very helpful. So in terms of career development, would it be more beneficial to get more than 1 year of postdoc experience or should I get into industry and learn about their business?

Also, would a research job be my best route in and if so, what level should I be aiming for?

Denise
Denise

Return to Science Careers Forum