Subscribe

Forum

sample CV/cover letter

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

sample CV/cover letter

Postby Russell » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:58 pm

I am a postdoc (4 yrs) in a government agency, looking for a senior scientist position in industry.

I know that every company and position is different and that will necessitate customized CVs and cover letters in most instances. However, I am wondering whether anyone can provide samples of generic CVs or cover letters, that I could adapt.

Also, I am in the DC area. Does anyone know of a firm that does professional CVs?

Thanks

Russell
Russell

sample CV/cover letter

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:32 pm

Russell,

Bill Lindstaedt left a URL for some CV suggestions on a previous post. See the URL entitled: CV's Academic to Industry

Also, try to stay away from "resume writing agencies." Just write it yourself and bounce it off people first. Those resume places are in many cases frauds. Even on one scientific job website, I checked with their "resume writing expert" and it was a fellow who charges several hundred dollars and who has "never done a scientist resume."

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum