Subscribe

Forum

Seek advice on regulatory affairs resume

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Seek advice on regulatory affairs resume

Postby Jingwen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:37 am

Hi all,

I am seeking advice here on how to modify my resume and enhance my chance to get an interview for a regulatory affairs (RA) position.

I have been working as a research fellow for 1+ years. I worked with physicians on cancer research in hospital. Although I studied on patient specimen, my work doesn't include any regulatory part. My PhD is in Pharmacology by the way.

To enhance chance for an interview, I emphasized 2 things in my resume:
One is my certification in Medical affairs (MA). Although it is in MA, the course also included education in drug registration and regulation.
The other one is my transferable skills, such as great attention to detail, and time management skills which are important in RA.

However, I haven't got any luck to get an interview. I guess my resume is not well customized for a RA position. So I really appreciate it if you can share your experience and advice on how to improve it.

Thanks a lot!!
Jingwen

Re: Seek advice on regulatory affairs resume

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi Jingwen

I'm not certain where you are now, in academia or in a company. But my guess is that you are at a University, perhaps a University hospital environment.

The transition from research to regulatory affairs is what I call a CHOKEPOINT. The transition from academia to industry is ALSO what I would call a CHOKEPOINT. It's generally near impossible to pull off a job change like this if there are two simultaneous chokepoints going on at the same time.

SO, if you are really in academia, put all your efforts towards moving to industry. Get that chokepoint out of the way. Then, later you can attack the second issue -- moving from research to regulatory. It's almost not worth the stress and hassle to make a change that requires you to pass through two chokepoints. Just focus on doing the best to get from one environment to the other -- from academia to industry. Remember, companies hire you for what you are doing now or most recently. Use that, whatever it is, to bridge into your next position. And then network like crazy in your company to get a listen by the R/A staff.

Good luck!

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
SCIENCE Careers Discussion Forum
“I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgment, it takes place every day.” - Albert Camus
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby D.X. » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi - also curious to where and what roles you are applying? Go for low hanging fruit - CROs and other 3rd party RA providers who are looked by for grunt workers - i.e Medical writers, administrative project management, and data base management.

MA certification - not sure what that is - probably won't help much - focus on project management and technical writing competencies.

Best

dX
D.X.

Postby Jingwen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:15 am

Hi Dave and D.X.,

Very appreciated the valuable advice. I am research fellow in a government hospital in Singapore. Although my supervisor is a physician, my responsibility is still getting data for grant application or paper publication. So, yes, I think I'm still in academia.

Dave, thanks for pointing out the "two chokepoints". You are right, transition from academy directly to regulatory might be too unrealistic for me at least now. So I am going to try my luck on positions which are more relevant to my current job and experience as you and D.X. suggest.

D.X., thanks for the suggestions about project management and technical writing! I've been considering to apply some administrative position and medical writer jobs. Yes, I've also found my certification in Medical affairs doesn't help much, although I highlight the regulatory part in the courses... More relevant certification or work experience is more valuable.
Jingwen

Return to Science Careers Forum