Subscribe

Forum

MSL Question

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: MSL Question

Postby D.X. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:24 am

Dave Jensen wrote:In most companies, you simply pass along the material to the HR department and they'll mark it with your name. Should that person be hired, you'd get a nice bonus. Should that person be a dingbat, you'll get some razzing, but in the company that actively rewards their staff for referrals, it's a minor issue.

Dave

Yes..and no. You'll get some razzing but you don't really want that. For me, I personlly like to have crediblity such that when I do make a referral, HR pays Attention because they know if they getting a CV from me, its a good candidate that should be looked at. And this is snapped to my crediblity in the organization. I don't want to bring a dingbat (my judgement call), so the Folks I recommend have a history of solid Performers or I see something that I want HR to look at. At least for me, when I pass a CV on to HR (and/or Hiring Manager), i'm asking a favor for them (HR or manager) to make at least a phone call.

Note: this goes against Nates view of so call jealousy which i've noted before is unsubstinable and a defeating view to have - that's when you risk make job-hunting personal an its not, it's Business.

I agree with all Caroline said and I diagree with Nate with reluctuance of those to help Peers. Quite the opposite. First, I do not agree that one who has no experience in the Job that is being solicited, should view oneself a a peer. In this tread, a PhD with no MSL experience talking to MSL is not a peer to the MSL, just for the purpose of These thread. That can lead to a disrepect for the persons experience and ablity to make a judgement call, at that goes for any Job really, and trust me it can be picked up.

Second, I have seen the opposite, where either me or a member of my Team be it from my MSL days or now HQ corporate/Commercial days run into a Job seeker be it a peer (they have Job experiene) or Junior (no expereince or emerging experiene) that is stellar and can totally be a competitor (but we don't think like that) be recommended for a Job by us because we think they are a value to the organization AND we're willing to put our Reputation on the line. And i've noted before someone who i was a peer and competitor of, adovcate for me to join his Company and team (which I did).

It is negative and against the fundamentals of Networking which is key to Readers of this forum if the overarching message is that others are out for themselves the majority of time.

Best DX
D.X.

Re: MSL Question

Postby Nate W. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:36 am

I would like to suggest that the forum read the true story of Chris Gardner or see the movie. Chris started out in his career as a lab assistant at SF General Hospital and then struggled with his career as he transitioned to a more permeant position to support his family. There are many positive lessons about networking that one can take away from his story.

In 2007, there was a movie that chronicled the rise of Chris Gardner's career from homelessness to the top of the financial world based on his autobiography, "The Pursuit of Happyness."

In a Washington Post article, a reporter asked Chris about networking and mentors:

<WP> How important was networking for you and how can others develop a network in a new career field?

<Chris> Networking has been incredibly important. You've got to develop it where the players are in your field. There are always meetings and conventions of people with similar interests. Be there, invited or not.

<WP> What about mentors? How do you find them?

<Chris> I had so many mentors. Sometimes you meet somebody and it just clicks. Other times you have to look hard to develop them. I had to pursue one of mine for years. Either way, mentors are crucial. Those people can make all the difference in the world in what you do.

Source:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 378_2.html

See the movie. His true success came when he reached out to the players (and prospective mentors) in the field and then got referrals to those less senior. As he says, push it "be there, whether invited or not."

I would say the same thing whether it be a job search for dogcatcher or a MSL. Your peers (or the those slightly ahead of you) are less likely to help you or be in a position to help you for a variety of reasons (i.e. jealousy, fear the competition, new to the field, don't know their boss well enough, or fear their own reputation if you don't work out). Instead develop relationships with the decision makers. They have an incentive to help their organization and goals by bringing on good talent and are less threatened by these other factors a less senior person might be worried about (unnecessarily so, I might add). By connecting with the players (or decision makers) is where you find a mentor that truly wants to help out and give back. So don't limit yourself and your options.

Focus on the part of the movie (or story) leading up to his meeting with executives at Candlestick park.

Movie and references:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pursuit_of_Happyness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIZKoak6gp8
Nate W.

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum