Subscribe

Forum

How to go about scheduling an interview while you have a job

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

How to go about scheduling an interview while you have a job

Postby James Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:42 am

I might have an in-person interview for a new position soon, but because I currently have a job, I’m not sure about the best way to handle it. When I find out the day and time for the interview, should I schedule a day off for that day? Would it be best to do it on a Friday so that it looks like I’m scheduling a 3-day weekend for myself? Or should I just take time off for the duration of the interview (like telling everyone that I’ll be coming in late)? I don’t want people at my company to think that I went to an interview. I’ve been working at my current position for a few years and I’ve only taken a few days of vacation within that entire period, so scheduling a day off might look suspicious, but at the same time, taking 4-5 hours off work would also look suspicious. Our schedules for the week are usually made a week in advance, so it would also look suspicious if I were to schedule a day off or come in late when the schedule is already made.

Also, if people ask questions about where I was (or if they ask beforehand), what should I tell them to avoid suspicion?
James Tyler

Re: How to go about scheduling an interview while you have a job

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:10 pm

James, you are being much more cautious than you need to be. Everyone takes days off when they need to. That's why you get holidays and personal time. Take the day off on a Friday -- no one needs to know anything. You don't have to supply a reason, you just schedule a vacation day on a Friday or a Monday, etc.

I admire your spirit but I think you might be overdoing it a bit with the caution. Just take the time off and don't supply a reason, because then you'll get into lying and none of us are really as good at that as we think.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Dick Woodward » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:09 am

If someone presses you about why you took the time off, just say that you had some personal business to take care of. You are telling the truth, and past that, it is nobody's business.
Dick Woodward

Postby Ranjit S » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:51 am

I agree with Dave and Dick. Just say that you had some personal work and hence took the day off. So, do you think that they shouldn't consider it? If so, why? It's none of their business. You really need to take the day off when you're about to schedule an interview. Cool!!!
Best Regards
Ranjit S
Ranjit S

Return to Science Careers Forum