Subscribe

Forum

Story of Success

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Story of Success

Postby Nate W. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 am

A few days ago I heard about how a former chemistry professor became one of the most successful owners of a professional sports team. Before he was an owner, he taught physical chemistry at a major University. Can anyone name this owner and his team?

Often we talk about how scientists have limited options and how it is difficult to transition to the "real world" of business. This person's biography contradicts this notion.
Nate W.

Re: Story of Success

Postby J.B. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:14 pm

That can only be Jerry Buss, former owner of the Lakers. His is an unusual and lucky path, I wouldn't necessarily derive any real world lessons about employment/success from it.
J.B.

Re: Story of Success

Postby Steven Z. » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:59 am

I have a friend whose mother managed to go into remission from metastatic pancreatic cancer. Although that's great for her and an uplifting story I certainly wouldn't go around telling people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer don't worry about it. People manage to overcome it all the time. It isn't that bad.
Steven Z.

Return to Science Careers Forum