Subscribe

Forum

Going back to science

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Going back to science

Postby Hong » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:10 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the lively and helpful forum. I learned a lot from reading the messages posted here. I have a somewhat different question - how to get back to science after working in Information Technology (IT) industry for a while?

Let me give you some details. I have a PhD in bioscience with two years of post-doc experience. I had a few good publications in graduate school. I left academic research to work in IT industry due to family reasons. I worked for over 5 years mainly as a software engineer in industry, with experiences in various types of programming, database design, etc. Although the pay is good and work is easy, I want to get back to science (preferably bench work, but other types are OK too) more than ever and am looking for positions. I have some questions and would appreciate some advice:

1) Where should I start?
2) I haven't kept in touch with most of my contacts in science, where can I get recommendations?
3) What kind of long-term position can I expect to get? At this point, it's unlikely that I will be able to get tenure-track positions. What other alternatives can I pursue in academic research?

Thank you,
Hong
Hong

Going back to science

Postby Kim » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:39 pm

It is extremely difficult for you to get a bench lab position in industry now. Maybe you should consider bioinformatics. However, right now, bioinformatics is also very competitive.

If you want to get back to bench work, maybe you should consider another postdoc. But it will be an uphill battle, too. At this point, it is impossible for you to get a tenure track position in academic.
Kim

Going back to science

Postby James » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:44 am

Apply to bioinformatics/computational biology position!
James

Going back to science

Postby John Fetzer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:26 am

My thoughts exactly. Bioinformation, biostatistics, and such new fields are very much in demand now. You span both areas and can even craft your going into IT as a plus. Express that you had a great interest in IT and enjoyed it, but want something that encompasses both areas.

John
John Fetzer

Return to Science Careers Forum