Subscribe

Forum

Usage of the same text in different papers

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Usage of the same text in different papers

Postby Ivan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Dear collegues, I have a question regarding usage of the same text in different papers. For instance, I have description of the experiment published in Paper 1 authored by me and which focused e.g. on testing of Model 1 and then I want to use the same description in my paper 2 which focuses on e.g. testing of Model 2. Is it acceptable to copy-paste description of the same experiment from Paper 1 to Paper 2? Isn't it considered self-plagiarism in such a case?
Thank you for help
Ivan

Re: Usage of the same text in different papers

Postby Rich Lemert » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:01 am

If you wrote the text, what does it matter that you use it in more than one paper? If you're really concerned though, you could always give a high-level summary of the procedure and refer readers to the original paper for the details.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Ivan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:45 am

Thank you!
Ivan

Postby Dick Woodward » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:04 am

If you are really concerned, contact the editor of the second journal and ask about their policy on the matter.
Dick Woodward

Postby D. Martin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Actually, you should not copy and paste (I do not agree with the previous comment). The standard is
1) mention we follow the same protocol than the one reported in... if there are some modification, you can mention them.
2) if you copy and paste, use quotation marks and have the reference at the end of the quotations.

copy and past is self-plagiarism (not many care but some editors will)
D. Martin

Return to Science Careers Forum