Subscribe

Forum

Is peer review egalitarian? Impact on career prospects in academia

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Is peer review egalitarian? Impact on career prospects in academia

Postby Nate W. » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Dear Forum,

About two years ago, I formed the opinion that the problem with academic research and why many scientists have limited prospects in academia is because the peer review process is not objective. Complicating this problem is a hypercompetitive financial model of distributing federal money that is not self-sustainable. Thus, the system of peer review is full of favoritism depending more on who you study under or work for; not based on the merits of what you accomplish. I know that many of you might disagree with this. However, I wanted to share this article(s) from the former President of the ASBMB.

http://www.asbmb.org/asbmbtoday/201409/ ... tsMessage/

http://www.nature.com/news/riff-raff-ch ... rs-1.16082

Read the comments posted in response to this article. What are your thoughts on Dr. McKnight's statements and do you think this problem he alludes to adversely effects the future prospects of academic scientists?
Nate W.

Return to Science Careers Forum