Subscribe

Forum

Interesting job spec . . .

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Interesting job spec . . .

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:50 am

Just read a client's job description and noticed a very unusual job "spec" along with the usual comments about must-have education, communication skills etc.

The job description's last line says, "Must say hello upon walking in the door."

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Interesting job spec . . .

Postby Dick Woodward » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:14 pm

Dave:

Was this for a sales or other customer-facing position?

Dick
Dick Woodward

Re: Interesting job spec . . .Walmart Greeter

Postby Nate W. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Was this for a Walmart greeter position?

See what I posted in the other thread: MDs for a retained recruiter position! Really!

Maybe we should all get 3-4 degrees and stay in school until retirement.
And the MD's boss is a older guy with a BS in business. Oh, that will work out just swell!!!

Who writes these ads? I can excuse this from the companies in CA, WA, and CO with the permissive use of marijuana.
Nate W.

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Dick Woodward wrote:Dave:

Was this for a sales or other customer-facing position?

Dick

Hi Dick,

Nope, a plant breeder position for a cool little startup that just got $20MM.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Interesting job spec . . .Walmart Greeter

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:09 pm

Nate W. wrote:Was this for a Walmart greeter position?

See what I posted in the other thread: MDs for a retained recruiter position! Really!

Maybe we should all get 3-4 degrees and stay in school until retirement.
And the MD's boss is a older guy with a BS in business. Oh, that will work out just swell!!!

Who writes these ads? I can excuse this from the companies in CA, WA, and CO with the permissive use of marijuana.

Hi Nate,

I think it was really great. I loved it -- sent a note to the VP CTO. In one line, they captured the whole essence of their culture. They are NOT going to be a place where some introvert or a "downer" personality is going to be happy. It's an upbeat, positive environment where good science can still be done, but where you'd better be the kind of person who can work well with those on either side of you at the lab bench!

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Cory » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:01 am

I'm wondering if this wasn't a bit like the contractual obligation that promoters of Van Halen concerts were given - no brown M&M's the bowl of candy set out backstage. This was apparently a trick to make sure that the promoter had paid attention to the details of the contract. If brown M&M's were in the bowl, how could the guys in the band know for sure that the stage was set properly?

Maybe the authors of this job posting are trolling to see who really takes the job application process seriously!

Cory
Cory

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:43 am

Cory wrote:I'm wondering if this wasn't a bit like the contractual obligation that promoters of Van Halen concerts were given - no brown M&M's the bowl of candy set out backstage. This was apparently a trick to make sure that the promoter had paid attention to the details of the contract. If brown M&M's were in the bowl, how could the guys in the band know for sure that the stage was set properly?

Maybe the authors of this job posting are trolling to see who really takes the job application process seriously!

Cory

Thanks Cory -- that's a good guess. But I think it is more about the company culture, and the fact that they don't want to hire anyone who doesn't fit their culture. It's purely a one-liner that is used to instill some thinking about fit on the part of the candidate.

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby D.X. » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 am

A bit late here,

but to Dave's Point, I think this is more of Company culture, which in this context, is a good Thing!

In my experiences, we on the corporate side have become pretty bad at being personable - in my Company for example we have had alot of Change in Management and we have gone from an Environment of everybody finding time to say "good morning" to everyone when they come in, to one where we don't even bother to say hello during a phone call, meeting, or in the morning, when we start a Meeting, its..BAM..right into the Topic.

And its not just my current Company also in previous roles, and the Problem is that we'be become soooo busy we just cast away the cordialities/greetings etc. And then the consequence is that we don't even know, Person wise, whom we're working with anymore - the People just become an email, voice on the line of where you have no personal Connection, they're no different that a Robot or a machine if you think about it.

And the worse case Manifestation of it I have seen is say of those People get sick or has a personal issue the Limits their work then the first Response is not "any one know how -Name - is doing?" but, WHO is going to replace them?.

Sign of the times and of course its up to us to not embrace that..but...then....you end up getting busy too, you fall into the rhythm, and when you make the call or have the Meeting you just dive in. Forget the "good morning" and then, well you're part of the machine. oh well.

And its not to negate the importance of Company culture and Team fit and working harmoniously, yes in the context of getting the Job done we are professional and acknowledge our workstyles and communication culture, all those matter - but sometimes the cordialities and knowing People as a Person are sarcrificed and if its done it can seem artificial, i.e. ask about your Family but reality, we don't care.

Of course, while still respecting Person who is a Task expert etc, the Person you're working with then just becomes the function, and it can be bad as not even using people's names, "so my medic, my regulatory, the tech-ops member the Team, what does Drug Safety say?

So...You had me at Hello.

DX
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum