Subscribe

Forum

Science and Law

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Science and Law

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:30 pm

I am a fifth year graduate student in Microbiology planning to graduate within the next year. I would like to work in the legal field in the Boston area, and was hoping to find a company that would pay for me to go to law school at night while I was working days (I'm a glutton for punishment). I've definitely heard of people doing things like this...but I can't seem to find any listings of companies that offer similar programs. Is there an easy way to identify them, or an already compiled list anywhere available?
All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Chris

Science and Law

Postby Chris Buntel » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:33 pm

There are relatively few companies that pay for night law school, especially for a brand new employee. I don't know of any compiled lists -- companies typically hire experienced attorneys away from law firms.

You could ask individual companies about tuition assistance, but be careful to not seem like you are "using" them. A better approach would be to get into a legal/IP group, and then convince them that it would help the company to have you become an attorney.

Law firms more commonly help scientific advisors or patent agents pay for night law school.

Good luck, Chris Buntel.
Chris Buntel

Return to Science Careers Forum