Subscribe

Forum

Email/Hard copy?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Email/Hard copy?

Postby SV » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:56 pm

Hi All,

Which way is better to send cover letter and CV, an email or a snail mail, when enquiring about a possible post-doctoral position in an academic set-up?

Thanks
SV
SV

Email/Hard copy?

Postby mpb » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:04 pm

I would say that it is definitely preferable to send it by regular mail if possible, especially if you are writing to someone in response to an advertisement. Ads for post-docs can generate hundreds of email messages from people who are often not very qualified for the position, but since there is no cost associated with sending the message, they decide to just go ahead. It is easy to skip over your email message among the hundreds that arrive in the in box, and your paper resume and reprints will get a lot more attention.

I think the same thing is true in office jobs (I've worked in both settings). I would never send a resume/CV/cover letter electronically unless specfically told to do so.

mpb

Email/Hard copy?

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:38 am

There is a huge bang-for-the-buck with the US Postal Service Priority Mail mailer. The post office even pays for the envelope (its free, and costs about $3.50 or so). When they show up, they get opened first in most offices because it is considered "Fedex type" mail. These envelopes are generally placed by an assistant right on the desk of the hiring manager, while the assistant opens all the rest of the regular envelopes and puts them into a pile. Big advantage for just a couple of bucks.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Email/Hard copy?

Postby Val » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:20 am

> postdoc inquiry

My PhD advisor confessed once that he preferred when potential PhD studnets/postdocs contacted him by email. He hated to be contacted by snail mail. He gave a reason: "If I receive an email; it is just a keystroke for me, and I can type in the answer, and the next thing -- bang ! -- the reply is sent". While with the snail mail he said he would have to find the addressee email address in the body of the paper letter, type it in etc.

Regards,
Val
Val

Email/Hard copy?

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:00 am

I would advice to read the adverts carefully.
Take a look at sciencecareers.org job postings,
some will specifically ask for hard copies, some will ask for hardcopies or emails, and some emails only.
In fact, some institutions will also request that candidates go to their web sites and apply online. There seems to be a trend towards this type of application by institutions. Unfortunately, some of these online application limits what you can send/attached, pdf or MSword files, and file size.

Best of luck,
Mickey
Michael

Email/Hard copy?

Postby John_Mastro » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:47 am

You must reply the way they specify, but I was taught always send a hard copy to follow up an email. If at all possible target the hardcopy to the hiring supervisor, whos identity might be derived by means of stealth and detective work.
John_Mastro

Email/Hard copy?

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:08 pm

John Mastro's comments are very good, and I agree . . . Some stealth is a good thing in a job search.

The only persons who are really taught not to give out names are the receptionist who answers the phone and the secretary. Other than that, most people will tell you "who does what" inside the company.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum