Subscribe

Forum

best specialization for MBA

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby keith » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:27 am

Hi Everyone!
Thanks for your encouraging replies on my earlier post regarding the postdoc.It has helped me envisage the future direction of my career.One thing I definitely want to do is an MBA but uncertain as to whether someone from a life science background would standup to more 'conventional' backgrounds like finance and engineering,especially if it is a 'bench'specific field rather than the non-bench types.Is my assumption right or can someone with a doctorate and experience in a non industry related field still get through? Which are the best fields to specialize in the biotechnology field which could be turned into a good business oriented career?
keith

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:58 pm

Hi Keith,

There is a lot of merit to getting the MBA on top of a life sciences PhD, as the PhD teaches you a lot about critical thinking skills and then the MBA helps you refine those and focus them towards the business world. Of course, the recommendation of which sub-speciality would be best ends up being a personal decision based on what your desired final outcome is. I find that an MBA in Marketing of Finance is very valuable for many PhD's, as they are headed into business development or management of sales/marketing functions.

One thing that is critical, however, and we've had so many other people come back and second this opinion . . . Don't do the MBA on top of the PhD. Separate the two by some years of industry experience. Getting a few years of work experience under your belt will double the value of that MBA, and you'll also get into the better schools. Sure, you can find a program to take you with only your PhD work experience, but that isn't going to be the kind of MBA program that would really make a difference for your career.

[Please make sure your colleagues know of this resource, as we are drastically underutilized at this stage.]

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Suggestion

Postby Harris » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:32 pm

Hi Dave, Bill and Naledi,
I just read Dave's statement in another thread "Please make sure your colleagues know of this resource, as we are drastically underutilized at this stage."
can we have some sort of link in this forum which says "tell others" and forwards the link to the message or a gist of it, to the person whose email we have entered?.This way we could introduce this forum to people whom we know would get help reading the particular discussion/message.
Many a times we think some message would be useful for a person whom we know but then dont have the time or patience to copy it into an email.
there might be an issue of spamming but I guess it can be worked out.
Just my 2 cents for this great forum.
Harris
Harris

Suggestion

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:22 pm

Thanks Harris, I think that is a really great idea. I'm passing it along to the programmers. . . .it may require more tweaking than they care to do, but we'll give it a shot. Thanks for the input.

Like many good things, the forum could go away if it isn't utilized. Thanks for supporting the site, Harris. And for your loyalty. We all have very long memories, and if we can help you in return in the future . . .

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Suggestion

Postby Pat P » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:56 pm

Hi, Harris:

I remember you from the previous forum. I certainly agree that providing a link such as the one you suggested would be wonderful.

Pat P

Pat P

Suggestion

Postby Harris » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:35 am

Thanks Dave and others,
though I havent been posting much, I have been religiously reading this /past forum for the last few years...and have learnt a lot from it...I'm sure there are many more out there who would benefit from this useful resource...I think we should make every effort to reach out to them...
best wishes
Harris
Harris

Return to Science Careers Forum