Subscribe

Forum

After Senior Scientist

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

After Senior Scientist

Postby Ida » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:21 am

I recently got a pay raise and the offer to change my job title. I'm currently Senior Scientist. We are a tiny company (6 people in the lab plus external collaborators) and my role has taken on a more managerial/leadership style in the last year. I realise how ambiguous a job title can be but I want to show job progression on my resume. What would best reflect this? Principal Scientist? Suggestions welcomed!
Ida

Re: After Senior Scientist

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:05 am

You're right . . . totally ambiguous.

Group Leader?

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Ana » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:17 am

Every company does it differently Ida. For some a Senior Scientist is the second PhD level ranking (after Scientist) so it comes usually Principal Scientist. In other companies Senior Scientist is very very high level, like Director in the previous example.

What people often do is to list their level or responsibility, alongside the official ranking. For example you can be laboratory head or department head with the same "Senior Scientist" level title, so some people would prefer to list themselves as "Ida, Head of Pharmacology and Gene Expression, company XX". I'm making that up, but you get the idea. I usually prefer to read that type of headline on people's bios/profiles because the classical level names mean so differently between companies and even inside the same company.

Ana
Ana

Postby D.X. » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:02 am

Companies for a while have been using what have been traditionally functional responsiblity titles as Job titles that incorprate a hiarachy element.

I think Roche was the best at this during my time, where say a Business Operations Director or Vice Presdient Level by Job Level was officially recognized by functional title such as Life-Cycle Leader or a Senior Manager Medical Affairs Person as a International Medical Leader or Marketing Director referred to as International Business Leader.

You see more and more of this with the "Lead" title being used for external Job titles, which can then be ambigous in the reverse where then it may mask your actual Job Level in the Company - i.e. in one Company a "Lead" could be a Senior Manager role where in another it could be a Director role. Now I hear Roche for some Position are reversing that for some roles, trading the "Leader" title for "Director", and others still staying with that, since the functional title was more the official title and some employees were not happy that "Leader" was masking the fact the were "Directors".

Some who have the "lead" or "Leader" title could also Play the game in the Job hunt and state they were Director or something higher - i don't recommend that - state the Level if applicable and the functional title if you have one.

Nontheless, internally we do use the functional responsiblity title more than the Job hierachy title, so a Senior Marketing Manager can carry the same Job title by Level as the rest of the colleagues but referred to by function as Digital Marketing Lead, or another can be Strategic Imperative Lead, or Brand Partner Business Liaison etc. etc.

Anyway, I chimed in because it is something that is outhere - for more tenured Folks if you see a Job title with "lead" or "leader" adverstised be sure to ask for clarity on the internal Job Level.

I've seen the same with "head" being abused as well - it signifiecs you could have FTE reports but in reality they had None, I 've seen this before a few times....Head of Marketing Operations....really? How many reports? None...ahhhhh..haaaa ok...so you're a Head in your own Head!

And if all that is confusing well I defer back to Roche's HR tagline: "Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting Point"

DX
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum