Subscribe

Forum

change from basic Sciences to Clinical Sciences

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

change from basic Sciences to Clinical Sciences

Postby Verodonato » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:41 am

I have a PhD in Biological Sciences and I am finishing my second postdoc. I am looking to change my career to Clinical Sciences as a Clinical Research Scientist but I would like to know if it is necessary to do a MBA and then the practice or how can I do? I am in Argentina now but I will move to US in 2019 and I want to work there. Thanks
Verodonato

Re: change from basic Sciences to Clinical Sciences

Postby D.X. » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 am

Hi Verodonato,

An MBA will do nothing to aid your goal to be a Clinical Research Scientist. MBA is business.

You need direct exposure to Clinical Science as a first step and as part of that you need to understand clinical trial design and conduct. A key role of clinical scientists is trial design and protocol generation. One way you can get a foot in the door is Medical Writing be it for Publications or tecgnical clinical documents say as you would find in a Regulatory dossier for health authority application. This can be done via a med comms firm or Contract Research Organization. A solid protocol writing experince can help.

Another spot u can try is clinical research associate role. This is more trial conduct and operations but with that experience and some development you can try to get to being a clinical research scientist. In that role and others i mentioned you will learn about working with others - should you go down your interest path you will see your role is a high coordination role requiring you get input from others.

if you u have a solid statistics back ground and you can apply that to trial desgn then that can help you too.

Best

DX
D.X.

Re: change from basic Sciences to Clinical Sciences

Postby Verodonato » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks so much for your help and information. ACRP and SoCRA sent me information but in many cases related with MBA. Here in Argentina there are Master degrees in Clinical Research but I don't know if they useful to US. I need an advisor that can see my CV and can suggest me the next steps but in Argentina I only have my mentor in the lab and he can't help me.
I will take a look and thanks again!!!!
Verodonato

Return to Science Careers Forum