Subscribe

Forum

old school job hunt

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

old school job hunt

Postby PG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:08 pm

I wanted to give an example of an old school job hunt. The example is from a non science setting but I think that there are some valid points in there for scientists as well.

A family member that just graduated from school at the age of 19 has decided that she wants to work for a year Before going back to school again. She has applied for a number of advertised positions and the outcome from these applications has been several non-replies and a few no thank you.

She then tried a new approach walking around to different companies mostly based on geographical location than anything else. The outcome of doing random walk ins asking for a job has resulted in the following responses

"please come back tomorrow for an interview"

"does people actually still look for jobs this way? Can you meet with our manager on Friday?"

"fun that you would come in, unfortunately we just hired two people yesterday but if any of them doesnt work out we will Contact you"

"can you start working already tomorrow?"

"Most of people applying for jobs here just sends an email but this was much more convenient. Are you interested in a part time job?"

The response rate also from companies were the correct person wasnt at the location when she walked in is close to 100% and actually the majority of visits has resulted in at least an interview with a manager. By visiting maybe 10-15 companies she has so far received 3 job offers. I realize that she is looking for a relatively unqualified entry level position but Believe that the difference she sees when applying for advertised positions online or when she is able to get a personal contact is relevant also for scientists.
PG

Re: old school job hunt

Postby Dick Woodward » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm

PG -

That looks exactly like how I got my first summer jobs - starting at one end of the business district, walking into each store, and asking the manager for a job. The district was roughly 2 blocks, and I never made it to the second block...

Dick
Dick Woodward

Postby PG » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 am

Yes and the point that I think is valid for this forum is that as soon as you have established some form of personal contact you will have a much better response rate and also a better successrate as compared to applying online.
PG

Postby Dick Woodward » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Exactly!
Dick Woodward

Postby Nate W. » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Only shows that building personal relationships with the right people within an organization leads to better career options.

I did the same thing when I was looking for a summer job in college. I made a list of all R&D and forensic labs in the metro area (early 90s). Then I called the supervisor and walked in with a resume in hand. However, as we get older, we seem to discourage this entrepreneurial approach to finding a job.

Why? Try this approach nowadays and the only people you will get to is a guard, a secretary, or HR. Unless you use a different tactic.

I think this behavior should be applauded and appreciated as it shows initiative.
Nate W.

Return to Science Careers Forum