Subscribe

Forum

Confusion - Singapore Postdoc vs. USA

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Confusion - Singapore Postdoc vs. USA

Postby Angadrao » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:24 am

I am a recent life science graduate from Singapore. I have received a postdoc opportunity in Singapore and one in USA.

I find it very hard to choose between them as my future goal is to enter industry related research. Please advise with thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!
Angadrao

Re: Confusion - Singapore Postdoc vs. USA

Postby D. Martin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Impossible to answer your question with no details given. See which lab has more industrial connections, that is a good start...
D. Martin

Postby PG » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 am

As D. Martin says a lot more information is needed to make a decision.

Also is your long term goal to work in Singapore, US or somewhere else?

Several global companies has at least parts of their development activities either directly located in Singapore or are working with smaller companies located in Singapore so one possibility would be to aim for one of these companies and then if you want to move internationally try to do so within that Company.
PG

Postby Angadrao » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:15 am

Thank you for the replies despite my having not provided enough information. I'll give the details here.

I did my research on GPCR in cancer at NUS, Singapore and now I am interviewing for a lab at UC San Diego. Their work is on GPCR but tries to answer basic biology questions and is less translational.

In Singapore the postdoc is at NUS which has work on WBp2 and investigates multiple pathways related to it and also is venturing into translational.

I am looking at UCSD in the long run for its brand value, the chance of getting into industrial research by being in San Diego and having done a postdoc in the USA which is quite essential and good on the CV for life science researchers (my opinion). However, I don't want to settle in the USA and like Canada as a place to settle. In Singapore I get to save more money and have a comfortable lifestyle over a place like San Diego. Plus here the issues of visa being a permanent resident are way easier than in the USA. It's harder to break into industry here.

Pls ask me if anything more in terms of information.

Thank you.
Angadrao

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:28 am

You and I live in different worlds if you think you can save money in Singapore while you can't in the San Diego area. Sure, San Diego is expensive, but Singapore is one of the single most expensive places to live in the world! Millions of dollars for small apartments. I don't know how you make this comparison.

Personally, I would not recommend you come to the USA and to San Diego if you have a negative view of the country or you wouldn't want to live here (because you'll get a job in industry there after your PhD and likely have to continue to be in the region). If you like Canada, why not go to Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal, all with excellent institutions and I'm sure similar areas of research?

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby KML » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:52 am

I did my PhD in the states and my postdoc in Australia and have a fairly strong understanding of the benefits of both the US and an international setting (but not Singapore specifically). After having been in science internationally, I can clearly see the advantages that are afforded to those that have gone and studied in the US. As I don't see a huge difference in the quality of research or the experience, I feel that this may be very misguided.

However, if Singapore is like Sydney, although it is one of the most expensive cities in the world, Postdocs are paid more and the work conditions as far as time and such are less. I would encourage you to take a good look at each lab and decide which is a better fit for your personality in terms of co-workers, what you could expect in terms of papers and conference attendance from each and how each will affect your future career opportunities.
KML

Postby Angadrao » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.
I have taken up my first postdoc position at Singapore and it is a good lab.
Angadrao

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Angadrao wrote:Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.
I have taken up my first postdoc position at Singapore and it is a good lab.

Good luck in the new job and come back to the Forum regularly!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum