Subscribe

Forum

PhD in US or UK????

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

PhD in US or UK????

Postby Rachel » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:16 am

At the moment doing my MRes in Neuroscience and will def. be doing a PhD.....i know a PhD in the states takes around 5-7years compared to the UK which is 3. Any other advantages/disadvantages???
Rachel

PhD in US or UK????

Postby Kim » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:43 am

I am in California. So I may have prejudices.

In my opinion, if you want to build a career in the US, you should do your PhD in the US, unless your advisor overseas is an academic superstar or a Nobel Prize winner.

I am assuming that you are British or Indian since M Res is not a typical US degree. M Res is a very British term. I do not know about the situation in the UK. But in many other areas in the world, for example, Asia, a US PhD degree is worth a lot more than an indegenous PhD degree because US is far ahead in basic science research than most Asian countries.

Kim

PhD in US or UK????

Postby Rachel » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:56 am

Hi kim,

No, i'm from the uk and an MRes is a masters by research instead of the taught programmes - its just been introduced. Anyway, i think in terms of research it def. isn't a case of a better standard between the us and uk......just wondering if there was anything else.
Cheers
Rachel

PhD in US

Postby John Fetzer » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:27 pm

One factor hinted at is connections. If you plan a career in the UK, then stay there as your network will build. but if you want a more open-ended career or one in North America, a PhD in the US will open many more doors. Your research advisor or other professors in the department will know others in the field, be involved in conferences (so that you can present your work to a more prestigious audience), and even your fellow students will become useful in your network. From my grad school days, a couple of those people are now well-known and on editorial boards. These connections get you asked to write reviews or present at meetings.

John
John Fetzer

Return to Science Careers Forum