Subscribe

Forum

Financing PhD in health sciences

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Meg » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:04 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure if this question is relevant to the forum, but I have been searching for information on how to finance a PhD in disease control and prevention (focusing primarily on infectious disease epidemiology, vaccine development, clinical research). My thesis work will likely be laboratory-based and may be applicable to some fellowships/grants, but until I reach that point I will have major tuition expenses. I can't seem to find any programs offering money for early predoc study (for non-minority students) in this field.
My background consists of work in international clinical research- TB in Africa, where my roles have been primarily in the laboratory. I also have an MPH in international health/infectious diseases from a top ranked (and VERY expensive) public health school. I had expected there to be more support for this area at the PhD level, with all the current concerns about diseases, bioterrorism, etc, etc. Am I missing something??
Meg

Postby Kim » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:36 pm

In the US, if you are a PhD students in life science, you will get financial helps through TA or RA fellowships. You should apply for a PhD program first. If you get accepted, the fellowship will come.
Kim

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:27 am

Meg,

Kim is correct. If you are doing your PhD work in a laboratory, the lab will have grant money to fund your stipend and research.

As a corollary, I would not recommend doing a PhD in a laboratory that does not have funding. There are plenty out there that have funding, don't make graduate school any more of a challenge than it will be anyway by choosing an underfunded lab.

Good luck,

Andy
Andy

Return to Science Careers Forum