Subscribe

Forum

how to prepare MSL interview with business people?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

how to prepare MSL interview with business people?

Postby Jessie L » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm able to secure an 2nd round interview for a MSL role. I will meet with people from business unit.

But I am not sure what kind of questions will I expect from business people?

Shall I prepared questions related to the sales and marketing, like the role of MSL in this part? Or.. anything else? I guess the purpose of this interview is to see whether I have a "business" mindset? If so,how they will evaluate it?

I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly share your experience and thoughts.

Thanks a lot!!
Jessie L

Re: how to prepare MSL interview with business people?

Postby D.X. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:20 am

Hi Jessie,

It would be good if you can mention which functions from the Business Unit (BU), you would be interviewing with? Also relevant is which Country are you in?

They'll want to know top Level things like, do they feel comfortable with you in the field, this moves to your communication style and soft skill as it relates to establishing credibility and relationships.

They'll want to know if you can adapt and target your communications, especially about data, to diverse audiences, such as nurses and pharmacists, or even between high-clinical science KOLs vs in the trench HCPs.

They may ask you about stakeholder mapping and where you may leverage that accordingly and why, so be ready for that.

And they may ask you to explain if you understand the value of the product beyond the clinical data - depending on Country. They could get technical with you so be ready for some of those questions both from data and say Label/compliance perspective.

They may ask you about data-generation and how you would help etc. this could depend on Team/Company/product and Country.

And they may even ask how you would interact with other functions be it in the field, such as with Sales Reps/Key Account Managers and Clinical Research Associates.

For me, as an ex-MSL and now one of them Business People - I am biased towards understanding if I could trust you in the field in front of our customers. I am interested mainly in your soft-skills, in particular I would want to know how good your active-listenging skills are. So for example can you pick up on a Dr. is saying something and then pursue that with an objective to clarity the Dr.'s view and then react to that accordingly. That is can you have a Dialog.

Then secondarly i'm intersted in how you would communicate the data - can you be targeted and I would also be interested in seeing you can contextualize that across different audiences (nurses, pharmacists etc) accross different objectives and senarious, i.e. Nurse involvement in Screening/diagnosis, or pharmacist discussion to Support a formulary decision, or KOL talk to help advance his/her understanding for good practices ext.

And I'd like to see if you would understand the concept of stakeholder mapping/relationship mapping, why would you do this, how and what would you do with such a mental map etc.).

So, that's from me - alot of the role is about that relationship and communication credbility for so for me well if you can't talk to someone with credibility and trust, well everthing else falls part

DX.
D.X.

Postby Jessie L » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:55 pm

D.X. wrote:Hi Jessie,

It would be good if you can mention which functions from the Business Unit (BU), you would be interviewing with? Also relevant is which Country are you in?

They'll want to know top Level things like, do they feel comfortable with you in the field, this moves to your communication style and soft skill as it relates to establishing credibility and relationships.

They'll want to know if you can adapt and target your communications, especially about data, to diverse audiences, such as nurses and pharmacists, or even between high-clinical science KOLs vs in the trench HCPs.

They may ask you about stakeholder mapping and where you may leverage that accordingly and why, so be ready for that.

And they may ask you to explain if you understand the value of the product beyond the clinical data - depending on Country. They could get technical with you so be ready for some of those questions both from data and say Label/compliance perspective.

They may ask you about data-generation and how you would help etc. this could depend on Team/Company/product and Country.

And they may even ask how you would interact with other functions be it in the field, such as with Sales Reps/Key Account Managers and Clinical Research Associates.

For me, as an ex-MSL and now one of them Business People - I am biased towards understanding if I could trust you in the field in front of our customers. I am interested mainly in your soft-skills, in particular I would want to know how good your active-listenging skills are. So for example can you pick up on a Dr. is saying something and then pursue that with an objective to clarity the Dr.'s view and then react to that accordingly. That is can you have a Dialog.

Then secondarly i'm intersted in how you would communicate the data - can you be targeted and I would also be interested in seeing you can contextualize that across different audiences (nurses, pharmacists etc) accross different objectives and senarious, i.e. Nurse involvement in Screening/diagnosis, or pharmacist discussion to Support a formulary decision, or KOL talk to help advance his/her understanding for good practices ext.

And I'd like to see if you would understand the concept of stakeholder mapping/relationship mapping, why would you do this, how and what would you do with such a mental map etc.).

So, that's from me - alot of the role is about that relationship and communication credbility for so for me well if you can't talk to someone with credibility and trust, well everthing else falls part

DX.

Hi D.X.,

It is so kind of you to provide so much useful information. Now I understand what kind of things business interviewers expect to see from me, and also what I should prove during the interview.

You mentioned the soft skills which you said can show the credibility and trust. I don't quite understand it... Could you kindly elaborate it more?

Thank you very much, D.X.!

Jessie
Jessie L

Postby D.X. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 am

Hi Jessie,

Glad I could help - just wanted to say besure you communicate and Show that one of you key Tasks is to know your terroritory, you may get asked questions on that- go back to what I said about stakeholder mapping and working with others understand your market.

Ok regarding soft skills, well that's just it, they are soft and often very subjective when it Comes to assessment. It's about how you interact with People to get a desired outcome whether it be negotiationing a deal, building advocacy or getting a Job. Some of it is personality and innate, some of it can be learned.

Some soft skill that People may look can include your Body language, your tonality of voice and the type of language you're using.

Some palapable Areas to look at this and where some formal Training can be found is areas of say Negotiotion, Conflict Resolution and my favorite, Active listening.

The latter for me is easiet to learn and implement and trickle over to Negotiations and other soft-skill behaviors. The active listeing by formal "Definition" is when you use the 80/20 rule of 80% Listening and 20% asking reactive probing questions to what you're Hearing, it could be confirming what you're Hearing and reacting to that in a tailored manner by asking clarifying questions or giving an answer but ensuring you ask if you've given the answer they where looking for.

You can also apply active listening when you give a presentation - mastering the "pause" is an example. Here you may present a data-point and to your audience you say just that, "let me pause here to see if you have questions or Need clarity with what i just presented". You may not know the answer but that goes a very very Long way to getting that credbility and trust.

So, as a Business Person, I look at how you're engaging me - its the only Surrogate I have of how you'd be out in the field. I'm looking at the lauguage you use, the tone, you Body lanaguge, and I want to see you're at least active listening. You may get behvioral questions here to understand how you've managed past situations or maybe a case question to understand how you would Approach a Situation.

As mentioned some of it is innate and some is learned - for me I can say formal soft skill Training has been some of the greatest Training i have received - often coming from academia, one can be rough around the edges even when it Comes to langauge - for example I absolutely HATE when someone presents a data Point to me a lecture and prefaces thier sentance with the word "obviously" in a tone that is talking down to me.... I know, a stupid tiny Little Thing, but a tiny Thing that will weight super negative with me and that Person has potentially lost crediblity with me. That Little use of that word and talking down tone has just alienated me. So just a tiny example. Makes sense?

All the best,

DX
D.X.

Postby Jessie L » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:46 pm

D.X. wrote:Hi Jessie,

Glad I could help - just wanted to say besure you communicate and Show that one of you key Tasks is to know your terroritory, you may get asked questions on that- go back to what I said about stakeholder mapping and working with others understand your market.

Ok regarding soft skills, well that's just it, they are soft and often very subjective when it Comes to assessment. It's about how you interact with People to get a desired outcome whether it be negotiationing a deal, building advocacy or getting a Job. Some of it is personality and innate, some of it can be learned.

Some soft skill that People may look can include your Body language, your tonality of voice and the type of language you're using.

Some palapable Areas to look at this and where some formal Training can be found is areas of say Negotiotion, Conflict Resolution and my favorite, Active listening.

The latter for me is easiet to learn and implement and trickle over to Negotiations and other soft-skill behaviors. The active listeing by formal "Definition" is when you use the 80/20 rule of 80% Listening and 20% asking reactive probing questions to what you're Hearing, it could be confirming what you're Hearing and reacting to that in a tailored manner by asking clarifying questions or giving an answer but ensuring you ask if you've given the answer they where looking for.

You can also apply active listening when you give a presentation - mastering the "pause" is an example. Here you may present a data-point and to your audience you say just that, "let me pause here to see if you have questions or Need clarity with what i just presented". You may not know the answer but that goes a very very Long way to getting that credbility and trust.

So, as a Business Person, I look at how you're engaging me - its the only Surrogate I have of how you'd be out in the field. I'm looking at the lauguage you use, the tone, you Body lanaguge, and I want to see you're at least active listening. You may get behvioral questions here to understand how you've managed past situations or maybe a case question to understand how you would Approach a Situation.

As mentioned some of it is innate and some is learned - for me I can say formal soft skill Training has been some of the greatest Training i have received - often coming from academia, one can be rough around the edges even when it Comes to langauge - for example I absolutely HATE when someone presents a data Point to me a lecture and prefaces thier sentance with the word "obviously" in a tone that is talking down to me.... I know, a stupid tiny Little Thing, but a tiny Thing that will weight super negative with me and that Person has potentially lost crediblity with me. That Little use of that word and talking down tone has just alienated me. So just a tiny example. Makes sense?

All the best,

DX

Dear D.X.

Thank you very much for the explanation. Especially you remind me that MSL should not use words like "obviously" in the presentation, because they are supposed to give balanced information, instead of biased. Good point!

I just finished my 2nd interview. It went on well. I paid attention to my conversation to make sure that I was a active listener during the meeting. So thank you D.X for these suggestions.

If possible, I may be asked to give a presentation. Haven't received official call yet, but wish me a good luck!

Thanks Again!

Jessie
Jessie L

Return to Science Careers Forum