Subscribe

Forum

Getting a faculty job: when do you usually hear back from colleges

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:49 pm

Hey all,

I applied to 20+ universities for various assistant professor jobs. I've heard back from four so far (Two rejects, one interview, one tells me I'm on the short list). How long before I can expect to hear back from the others (assuming they're the least bit interested)? Do most calls come before Christmas? After? Next year?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike
Mike

Postby Andy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:06 pm

Mike,

Congratulations; sounds like you're having a successful search thus far. The academic job filling process can (and often does) take months. You may or may not ever hear back from some of the schools. Don't take that personally; schools may be interested in you but may have higher priority candidates that they are pursuing right now. If those fall through and they are interested in you, they may call you early next year. Most schools fill their slots in the spring, so the academic world reaches a fever pitch then with candidates deciding on multiple offers and the dominoes falling accordingly.

A good resource to talk about these issues with is your department chair.

Good luck,

Andy
Andy

Postby Bill L. » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:39 pm

Hi Mike,

You're probably looking at the new year before you receive other correspondence. That's just because faculty are near the end of the semester/quarter (a busy time of finals and writing academic recommendations, for example). Also, folks are gearing up for break. So after January 3rd is probably what you're looking at.

Be well,

Bill L. & Naledi S.
Bill L.

Postby Andrew » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:10 pm

Interviews will be December to mid-February; offers come in March. April is late, but some will be there too. Every once in a while one of the big schools tries to accelerate the process and pushes all the interviews to before the holidays, and that year every other school will do the same to ensure they don't just get "leftovers".
Andrew

Return to Science Careers Forum