Subscribe

Forum

Co-Authors on CV (Continued)

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:01 pm

As a moderator, I'd love to move posts from the topic of "How to List Co-Authors on CV" because it is getting too long. Plus, I think that we've all said the same things, in several ways.

If it is OK with you, can we put any other posts about the topic of co-authors into this "dead horse" thread? You can certainly change the topic, by editing the subject line when you post beneath this one.

With the way our system works, each time a thread gets renewed by a fresh post, it goes to the "top of the charts." I wouldn't want to open up my web browser and see any one particular subject taking up the entire web page.

Thanks to everyone who contributed on that worthy topic, and to Carmen, who brought it up!

[And thanks for helping your overworked moderator make sense of the way the forum appears to our readers.]

Dave Jensen
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Did we beat the horse to death?

Postby A. Sam » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:57 pm

I'm for that. I'd also request that when a new post appears and it clearly reveals that the poster hasn't read old threads, that a moderator step up and refer that poster to an old thread so we don't have so much redundancy. I think at one point we had 3 or 4 threads going that were all saying the same thing. Not that I'm complaining. It's a great forum. Really.
A. Sam

Did we beat the horse to death?

Postby Ken » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:03 pm

I just think that one went long because someone threw the "unethical" word in there real early. I honestly see both sides of that issue, but neither side was unethical. I think use of that word indicated that the concept of "co-first author", a well established thing in many fields, was not familiar to them.

Ken

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:48 pm

Hi Paul,

I think you are correct, and that your concerns fit with what Jeffrey Kahn posted. By the way, Jeff has the Maas Family Chair in Bioethics, and is the Director for the Center for Bioethics at the University of Minnesota.

It seems to me -- Jeff will correct me if I am wrong -- that the important thing is that the CV has to match up with the "hard proof" of the published article. In the case of the journal you mention, it sounds as if those articles have something like a footnote in them that describes the equal contribution aspect we are discussing. If that is the case, it is fine to use a similar footnote in the CV to point out the equal contribution -- or, as one poster suggested, to separate those papers into a separate section for first-author works.

I hope I've stated Jeff's intention correctly,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Jeff Kahn » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:50 pm

Dave--yes, that's exactly my point. If co-first authors is the convention for a particular journal then that clears up the problem. It's when an author moves his/her name into first author position on a CV when the publication lists him later in the author order that it's a problem of misrepresentation. So just list authorship credit on CVs as it appears in print and all will be well. The lesson is to get authorship order ironed out before publication so you don't have to deal with it after the fact. Hope this clears things up.

Jeff
Jeff Kahn

Postby Mickey » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:51 pm

Andrew:

I have followed the postings on this issue.
I have great respect admiration for your postings;
people like you make me have faith in science career that eventually some of the applicants/candidates who are playing this game will be caught and dealth with.
The problem is that some HR Managers/personnel don't have the time or don't bother checking these unethical behaviors/actions. Some HR Staff are only interested in esthetics of the Resume/CV.
Hence, when some applicants/candidates get away with lies on Resume/CV, their friends or associates think it's okay to do same.
This kind of behavior frustrates honest candidates--makes some take attitude of "if you can't beat them, join them.
I concur with you, order of authorship should be determined/ironed out during the preparation of the manuscripts.
Thanks, Mickey
Mickey

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:26 pm

The topic of listing co-author names on CVs and publications lists is addressed (once again!) in the current issue of "Tooling Up" in Science's Next Wave.

See this link if this is of interest . . . Should anyone be visiting this forum for the first time as a result of this article, please note that there are two threads discussing this topic and that you should read both of them before adding to this continuation).

"An Ethical Conundrum"

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum