Subscribe

Forum

Consulting

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Consulting

Postby Kyle » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:03 pm

I am in my last semester as a Ph.D. candidate and am in the process of looking for a job. I have recently become very interested in leaving academia for a consulting position and was curious if anyone has any advice on how to make this transition? Although I still enjoy science I am not necessarily set on being a bio-consultant. I've heard that non-science consulting firms sometimes hire Ph.D.'s. and I would be interested in this as well. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate hearing it.
Kyle

Consulting

Postby Don » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:46 pm

Several of the top strategy firms do hire PhD's. McKinsey, Bain and BCG all hire them. Your first step is to go to their web sites and learn everything you can about the companies and what it is like to be a consultant - you may find that it is not for you.
You might also try a book called "The McKinsey Way" - a very good read and pretty accurate about life as a consultant for one of the top strategy firms.

Next you should contact the recruiters at these firms and ask them about recruiting for PhDs. You should probably do this very soon because the hiring seasons for associates at these firms is nearing its end (if not already over).

Good luck - it is a good choice for some.

D
Don

Return to Science Careers Forum