Subscribe

Forum

Taking a new local job when you'll likely move

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Taking a new local job when you'll likely move

Postby M. Adley » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi,

I've had a handful of interviews for medical writer positions lately and while some have been for remote positions, a few have been for local companies that want on-site writers. Because of some circumstances revolving around my wife's career, we're going to have to move for a few years starting next summer.

Given that circumstance, is it wrong if I accept a job offer (should I even get one) for a local, on-site position knowing I'll be moving next summer? For the most part, I let interviewers/recruiters know ahead of time about that circumstance but occasionally (e.g., right now) don't mention it. I feel kind of dirty when that happens and figure you should follow your conscience, but everybody else I've spoken to says it doesn't matter as long as you don't lie and say you'll stay in the area long-term if they ask you. Is this true or is there a good reason that I don't feel right about doing this?

The reason I'd take a job like that in the first place is that I think my current position is more harmful than helpful for my career. In case it matters (though it probably doesn't), I'd want to stay with the company long-term if they'd let me do remote work once we move. Thanks for any insight (or verbal lashing if need be).
M. Adley

Re: Taking a new local job when you'll likely move

Postby D.X. » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:52 am

Hi M.Adley,

No need to disclose your personal circumstance. Sounds like you already have medical writing experience so you probably know that with good experience, there's always a Job there be it remote or on-site, freelance or permanant.

Prioritize what your immediate personal Needs are, i.e the Job and go for it, see where you end up later. At least if you get some tenure in the Company and demonstrate value, when that time Comes to disclose, the Company, seeing your value, may then be open minded to a remote Option. If they are not, see what I said in the first paragraph, you can always get a medical writing Job provided you have the experience and Expertise. I don't know if you're in-house or agency side, but on the agency side there are many positions and agencies where you can evenutally find role fit your Needs, a bit harder on the Client side, usually Client side they want you in-house most of the time.

So from the Client side good luck and don't worry about disclosing now, do it when say you're about 2 months out is best guidance, plenty of time for the employer to be Aware and take respective Actions, hopefully in your favor.

Best,

DX
D.X.

Postby Dick Woodward » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:45 am

I completely agree with DX. In addition to his excellent reasoning, consider this - your wife's career plans may change. This is especially true if the move is a corporate one. Companies have a way of changing their minds at the last second. You don't want to goof up the possibility of a position for something that is expected to happen (but possibly could not) several months down the road.

DX' suggestion of telling them a couple of months before the move is a good one. If they ask why you did not tell them sooner, merely explain that you wanted to wait until the move was a sure thing.

Good luck to you both.

Dick
Dick Woodward

Postby Caroline Ritchie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:24 am

I agree with the advice that has already been provided. As a medical writer myself, I want to add that working remotely is very common in the field. While most companies would prefer employees work in-house, they have also found that they can dramatically increase their pool of quality writers by allowing remote work. Before going independent, I worked at a medical device company that recently closed one of its office buildings where the majority of the medical writing team worked. Nearly the entire medical writing team now works remotely to avoid 2-3 hours of daily commuting to the next closest office. Employees go in to the office 1 or 2 days per month. One of my current clients has a full-time salaried medical writer who lives across the country from the office. The company pays for him to travel to the office for about a week every month or two so that he can connect with coworkers. An employer will likely not have an issue with you needing to work remotely, especially once you have established yourself as a high-performing and trustworthy employee. Just keep in mind that you will likely need to travel to the home office on occasion for important meetings, so make sure that is something you would be willing to do.
Caroline M. Ritchie, PhD
Caroline Ritchie

Return to Science Careers Forum