Subscribe

Forum

Demanding PI

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Demanding PI

Postby vincent » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:03 pm

You are in a bad situation. I saw quite a few similar things,some PIs enslave their posdocs, especially those need proper visa to work in the country. They do not require you officially to work more than 40hrs/week because they understand that is illegal. But you cannot satisfy them even though you work 25 hrs a day. They know their reference is critical for your next position.

I do not know if there is any law or provision regulating such case.

My advice is taking this positively, trying to work out several papers or patents that help your future career. Meanwhile, keep looking for new opportunities. For some recruiters, your experience and publications matter more than your PI's opinion.

Good luck.
vincent

Demanding PI

Postby Kim » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:24 pm

I think the issue is your productivities. You can be in the lab 24 hours a day. But if you do not have data for publication, unfortunately you are either lazy or imcompetent for most PI.

I was told that it is reasonble to expect a graduate student one publication every year. And the expectation for postdoc is more.

I suspect that the issue of "how many hours are you working in the lab" was raised only because you do not have enough data for publication after one year.
Kim

Demanding PI

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:34 am

Hi Bhagya,
This is a common thing in research labs. I do not think you should consider leaving the lab. I can tell you that your problem will not be solved by that.

You have not provided any details about where you are working and where you were before getting into this lab.

PIs conducting active research expect a lot out of post-docs. As much as they push you to work hard and publish, it works in your favor to get pushed, to push yourself and to publish as many papers as possible. Papers and grants are the currency in research and the only way to open the gates for a successful career for yourself.

You say you feel that you have accomplished a lot in a year. For a post-doc, that would be something like 2 articles publised, or at least submitted.
I also feel that you have a sense of stratification between graduate students and post-docs. As far as I have seen in the U.S, PIs rate people based on productivity and not based on their cadre. Your PI may have mentioned the graduate student to motivate you- sort of negative reinforcement. In case the graduate student has been more productive, you should take it in the right spirit and compete with him/ her in a healthy way.
Believe me, once you begin crunching out data, you will find your boss complaning less about your hours of work. Just put these things out of your mind and concentrate on your work when you are in the lab. things will start changing soon.
Ash

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum