Subscribe

Forum

Faculty Search Notifications

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:51 am

Hi,

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed here or not.
Why do institutions doing a faculty search have to wait until a canditate has accepted their offer before rejection letters are sent to the rest of the applicants?
Faculty Searches can take 3-12 months; I think, it is unfair to finally get a letter of rejection at the end of the search.
I think, the appropriate thing to do is to notify other candidates once a short-list(5-10) has been made, and they were not selected to the short-list.
I read on this forum where a canditate who was lucky to have some offers from some institutions was still waiting for a "big name" university's offer. However, he/she was not considerate to decline the offers from the "not so big name" universities.
What do you think? Comments/opinion please.
Mickey
Michael

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:30 pm

They don't have to wait; they just do. It makes little sense except that a search is an awfully time-consuming committee task and you still have to teach and run your group and you don't get extra resources to do this. So you prioritize, and sending rejection letters falls to the bottom of the list, somewhat below sending thank you notes to all of the 3 x 100 people who wrote reference letters for the candidates. You should be able to figure it out without a letter, though. If you haven't gotten a phone call by March, you are not getting an interview.
Andrew

Return to Science Careers Forum