Page 2 of 2

A Job Search Post-Mortem (Long)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:42 am
by Kevin Foley
Kim RE: "Sometimes, I wonder what would happen if I address the wrong person as the hiring manager. It is certainly very likely to happen if I simply do internet search."

Somehow, I get the feeling that people are not really listening to Dave. Stop worrying about addressing the wrong person. What you need to be doing is to CALLING this person, preferably to set up a face-to-face meeting. But at least TALK to him or her on the phone (at least then you can ASK him if he/she is the hiring manager!). If so, give your prepared 60 second ?sales pitch? (I assume that has been discussed around here?)?if he isn?t, ask for a face-to-face informational interview.

Mailing your resume to the supposed "hiring manager" is only a little better than sending it right to HR. You know what I often do when I get a CV by e-mail for a position that I?m hiring? I send it to HR!!! I don?t have time to do the first screen of incoming CVs.

If you really want to get hired, you need to TALK to people. E-mailing is not really networking.

Take it from someone who has found 3 out of 3 biotech jobs by networking. You should be spending 80% of your time TALKING to people, leaving 20% for things like replying to job ads online (and reading this forum!). You can blow an entire week on Monster.com, and not have made any progress.

Cheers,
Kevin

A Job Search Post-Mortem (Long)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:04 pm
by Dave Jensen
Kevin,

Thanks for your comments.

I am often surprised by how difficult it is to get some scientists to pick up the phone and/or take direct action with meeting someone. For these scientists, it is generally so much easier to approach people via email. I get "networking" emails all the time and while I take a brief moment to answer them, they get about 10% of what they would get from me if they sound halfway professional and called on the phone.

Even worse, though, is the person who calls and then blurts out something about needing a job and promises an email which never shows up. That happened recently -- I'm still waiting for this woman's CV, as she is a friend of a friend of mine, but there's no way I am going to chase her down for it.

People need to get comfortable talking to strangers on the phone. I think there's an entire seminar on that subject out there, and I intend to start working on that.

Dave

A Job Search Post-Mortem (Long)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:36 pm
by MPB

To Andy's good advice about Googling and using Pubmed, I also wanted to add that the Science Citation Index is a good way to identify scientists at a particular institution (although it is not available for free via the internet to most people). It has an "institution" index (I believe it's called the "corporate index" or something like that) that allows you to look up articles by institution at which the author resides. [For example, looking up "Genentech" in the 2004 volume would list all papers that were published by authors at Genetech in 2004.] Pubmed generally only indexes the instutution of the first author, but the SCI usually indexes the institutions of all of the authors.


re: A Job Search Post-Mortem (Long)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:42 pm
by Tom
Would you suggest using this tactic/strategy for for non-Ph.D positions (calling up hiring managers w/out a social network)? Like to find a start-up job at a company or anything to get my foot into the door of industry?

re: A Job Search Post-Mortem (Long)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:36 am
by Dave Jensen
Hi Tom,

Certainly what Andy has described in this thread will work for anyone. But, don't exclude all "traditional" job search methods, either. Just be open to some new ones.

Dave Jensen