Subscribe

Forum

Won't someone help us spread the word about the Forum?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Won't someone help us spread the word about the Forum?

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 am

I just read a note from Promilla, a new poster here on the Forum, and she thanks us all and says what a great place this is for advice.

I would agree. I've been here for 20+ years. So have some others. This is a very unusual site and a place that can provide a lot of value.

If you thinks that's correct, can you help us? I find people promoting their "paid career counselor" sites all the time, and places that have only one point of view are constantly being pitched on LinkedIn forums and so forth. If you like the forum, can you PLEASE spend five minutes to tell others about it, somewhere and somehow?

As the founder/moderator of this site, I am not able to get on these sites and pitch the forum. Others have to do so -- others who have received value from the wonderful group of advisors and regulars who have visited here over the years, providing assistance of their own volition. Thank you for your help,

Dave Jensen
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Won't someone help us spread the word about the Forum?

Postby Bibas » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:17 pm

I am totally in agreement with you. I came across this site randomly few years ago and have been constantly a silent lurker. I told few colleagues about the forum, and will keep on spreading the news where possible.
Bibas

Postby Ana » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:13 pm

It has been about 12 years for me Dave, I was a PhD student back when I discovered this forum. I have just shared a message in Twitter and in LinkedIn so that anyone in my network (or reading the right hashtags) will hear about the Forum.

Ana
Ana

Postby D. Martin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 am

I always recommend it to my students and I have found they do not even check the site. I wonder if it a generation thing...I do think it is a great place (I love to read threads). Maybe see if it can be advertised in some science blogs?
D. Martin

Postby Ana » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 am

D Martin has made an excellent point. We have moved from the generation of on-line forums and blogs to the generation of social media (Facebook, youtube, twitter, instagram). That's where our main target audience is today. Maybe something for ScienceCareers to consider... I do agree we might not be using the best channel.
Ana

Return to Science Careers Forum