Subscribe

Forum

about faculty recruiting

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

about faculty recruiting

Postby Dylan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:38 pm

I am a graduate student in a basic science department in a midwest public medical school. My department has recruited several new assistant professors. I happen to notice that none of the new faculty brings in grant money. Although several other candicates have very strong publication record, they were not even interviewed. The people hired on average did their post-doc for 3-4 yrs. Do you think what happened here is typical?

Dylan
Dylan

about faculty recruiting

Postby John_Mastro » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:37 am

something is amiss in your story. If they get no grant money they will lose their jobs. End of story.
John_Mastro

about faculty recruiting

Postby dylan » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:55 am

I am talking about people who just got hire. Before they did not have grant money when they started.

Dylan
dylan

about faculty recruiting

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

Most new faculty hires don't have their own grant money coming in. Some do. But most don't. Universities hire people whom they believe will bring grant money in after a year or two. Meanwhile, they provide them with a startup package of several hundred thousand dollars to get their research going.

Andy
Andy

about faculty recruiting

Postby Madison » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:13 pm

You can't get most grant money (i.e. RO1s) until you are in a faculty position. And then you can't get them until you establish independence from your post-doctoral mentor through putting out at least 1 research paper in your new lab, with your postdoc PI NOT ON the paper.

3-4 years is the standard time in postdoctoral training for new faculty. If you're a postdoc longer than this, your chances of getting a faculty position go down dramatically. If you try for faculty jobs after only 1-2 years of postdoc, you may not have enough papers to be competitive. My point is, the new faculty you talk about seem to be completely typical.
Madison

Return to Science Careers Forum