Subscribe

Forum

Advice on how to revive a career

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Advice on how to revive a career

Postby HGX » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:50 am

I have a dear friend who has had some awful luck with her career since graduating with a PhD in Genetics. She went from bad job to worse and then terrible over the past 6 years and now does technician work at a local college. She is amazingly bright and extremely hard working but seems not be able to get any decent paying position anywhere. She is feeling extremely down about this. I know there are many people out there in a similar situation. I wonder if anyone has any wisdom they can impart
HGX

Re: Advice on how to revive a career

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 pm

HGX wrote:I have a dear friend who has had some awful luck with her career since graduating with a PhD in Genetics. She went from bad job to worse and then terrible over the past 6 years and now does technician work at a local college. She is amazingly bright and extremely hard working but seems not be able to get any decent paying position anywhere. She is feeling extremely down about this. I know there are many people out there in a similar situation. I wonder if anyone has any wisdom they can impart

This is a very general question and a difficult one to answer. No matter what the career choice is, there will be people who are stagnant, whose careers are not moving ahead and who will be stuck in some kind of low-level job category.

Often, this has to do with the fact that those persons are not good at marketing themselves, at doing the things that are absolutely necessary in order to advance. To develop a solid resume, a good looking LinkedIn profile, a roster of networking contacts, and so on. These things just don't come naturally to some people, but there is no profession in the world that is as unique as science, where the personality traits that make you successful in the lab are the exact opposite of the personality traits that make you successful in the job search. Finding a balance is very rare air.

Whatever she does, council her against joining any paid "association" of people where they all have the same appearing LinkedIn profile, they all follow the same dumb (wrong) advice presented by a professional pitchman, etc. We won't go into details as it's not necessary, but it would be best for her to read about how others make their job changes on a forum like this one as opposed to a paid "counseling" session from someone's little idea of a million $$ business. There are several of those scams out there, and they have quite an attraction to people like your friend.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby PG » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 am

One possibility could be to try to find a position at a similar level but in an organization that would allow internal growth and career advancement.
Hiring someone at the same level as they are currently working on is low risk for the organization doing the hiring and when she has proven her ability she can advance internally. Once a person becomes unstuck their confidence usually goes up and also the attractiveness on the job market.
PG

Postby D.X. » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am

Hi,

There is alot of missing Information here, such as what was Story from going from a Job that was terrible, to worse, to doing a 'technician' work, is she a technician? What were the causes and that could give some insight on career path decision making and Areas to remedy.

I agree with Dave, there is a signal of potential lack of targeted "tooling" up and in cases like These, also Areas of confusion on where to direct energy and Attention - often there is a question mark on career interests and undersanding of self with respect to an introspective understanding of work-style traits.

I agree with Dave to avoid so called professional associations promsing to help PhD's find $$.

HOWEVER - I don't discount a personal life coach or bona-fide career counceler.

Your friends employer, i.e. HR, maybe be able to help identify one. Maybe even the HR department at the local college can help?

Maybe this is a Service you can give to your friend? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to listen and advise from your life experiences. Especially if you're in a better mental spot than them.

Best,

DX
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum