Subscribe

Forum

Humboldt fellowship response from Mentors

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Humboldt fellowship response from Mentors

Postby Vani » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks PG!

I am not aware of those grants that you mentioned, I will search for them. May be those are national grants or something? That only people from Germany or Europe can apply?

In my application, I have made a cover letter, wherein I write my introduction first, give some brief about my university.Then I write about Humboldt fellowship,attach a detailed file for that. Afterwords I come back to my research, explain a little bit of what we are trying to do in lab. Then I attach my CV which contains all details.

Is there anything that is missing out here?

I will go through the networking tips, thank you for the information.
Vani

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi Vani, if I understand the situation correctly, you are a junior faculty member in India and want to get some international research experience. Maybe something like a one-year sabbatical to learn more research techniques, expand your research program and connect international collaborators. Is that correct? Is there a specific reason that you are targeting Germany for this? As others have mentioned, there are other fellowship programs in addition to the Humboldt that could help you meet these goals.

I would suggest that you take the long view of this goal. I think you would have better luck making a research connection with someone first. Perhaps there are people doing the kinds of work you want to do in your network? Or perhaps you could attend a few international conferences to meet people? When I get cold emails from people wanting to do something like this, I am not inclined to agree because I have no idea what the person is like (not only how they are in the lab, but also whether they are nice and good to work with, etc.). However, I would think much more seriously about it if we had met at a conference or if another colleague I respect vouched for them. Rather than seeing the Humboldt application as the end goal, make expanding your research connections and network the goal, and you may then find more than one way to achieve your objective of getting international research experience.
Chris

Postby Vani » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:12 am

Chris wrote:Hi Vani, if I understand the situation correctly, you are a junior faculty member in India and want to get some international research experience. Maybe something like a one-year sabbatical to learn more research techniques, expand your research program and connect international collaborators. Is that correct? Is there a specific reason that you are targeting Germany for this? As others have mentioned, there are other fellowship programs in addition to the Humboldt that could help you meet these goals.

I would suggest that you take the long view of this goal. I think you would have better luck making a research connection with someone first. Perhaps there are people doing the kinds of work you want to do in your network? Or perhaps you could attend a few international conferences to meet people? When I get cold emails from people wanting to do something like this, I am not inclined to agree because I have no idea what the person is like (not only how they are in the lab, but also whether they are nice and good to work with, etc.). However, I would think much more seriously about it if we had met at a conference or if another colleague I respect vouched for them. Rather than seeing the Humboldt application as the end goal, make expanding your research connections and network the goal, and you may then find more than one way to achieve your objective of getting international research experience.

Hi Chris,

Yes you got it right. I exactly want to go for a sabbatical to get some international exposure and expand the area of my research. The reason for applying for Humboldt fellowship is because there is option for experienced researchers (Up to 12 years of PhD.

I will target the international conferences as you mentioned. So far I was thinking that I should go to give some oral presentation , for that my work should be strong with good publications etc. I think both are connected like you said. First thing is to get the network.

Thanks a lot!! I got the idea where I was going wrong.
Vani

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum