Subscribe

Forum

Moving from Biotech to Forensic Science - Crime Scene Investigations?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Bill Estes » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:20 pm

Hi,

I've planned on a biotechnology career, but after a couple of years of watching CSI I am starting to think that I'd enjoy working in a crime lab.

Does anyone know what the first step should be? I'm going to have a graduate degree in biology soon, and I can get a PhD in whatever subject matter I can to optimize my chances in Forensic Science. Or, is the PhD not even necessary in this field?

Bill Estes

Postby Kelly Ann » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:39 pm

Please note that you could be disappointed in forensics if your expectations are solely based on CSI or any other TV show ...

However, there are several ways to get into forensics if you are truly interested ...

1) Many schools have classes or even forensic programs (but with varying specialties).

2) Many states have crime labs to which you can apply to work as a research technician. However, I learned that the positions arn't always as interesting as you think. For example, in California, they are establishing a database with inmates DNA but after 1000 sequencing reactions, you may discover the position will get boring.

3) The FBI, CIA, and other government agencies (including the military branches) have forensic divisions. The hiring process can be long (as they look at other characteristics besides science experience). However, a friend who is applying to be a special agent in the FBI, was fast-tracked because of her advanced degree in biochemistry and the current interest in bioterrism.

While I don't know much about forensics, I would suggest a google search of academic programs as well as government agencies. If you have an idea of what you want to do, you could try to find a job desciption which would give you an idea of what you need to do to be qualified.
Kelly Ann

Postby Kim » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:49 pm

Check out University of New Haven. It has one of the best forensic programs in the US. Dr Henry Lee is a faculty there.

But you should know that forensic is not as glamourous as shown on TV. In reality, it is a very smelly and dirty business.

http://www.gradprofiles.com/u-new-haven-forensics.html
http://www.newhaven.edu/psps/forensicscience.html
Kim

Return to Science Careers Forum