Subscribe

Forum

to move or not to move?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

to move or not to move?

Postby Mitsi » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:05 pm

I am close to finishing my PhD in biochemistry at a large research institution and am interested in switching fields doing a post doc in biophysics. Afterward I would like to pursue a career in industry. Would it be absolute career suicide to do a biophysics related post doc at the same university I completed my PhD at? Since there is a personal reason involved, candid advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Mitsi

to move or not to move?

Postby Emil Chuck » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:07 am

Career suicide to do a postdoc? :)

I think it's more important to show what you can do as a postdoc as opposed to where (unless the department is absolutely inferior in quality or mentoring guidance). If you have a personal reason that requires you to stay on your campus, then stay on your campus. It's not going to be the end of the world. Find a good mentor, tell him/her what you want career-wise (industry-related job), take on a great project, and just do it.
Emil Chuck

to move or not to move?

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:07 pm

I agree with Emil entirely. Your choice or need to stay is important to you and you must then work with that. Experience in biophysics is a good complement to a Biochemistry background and you will find many people in either field have been on teh "other side" of the Biochem/Biophysics fence at some time or another.
\
Good luck.
Rob

to move or not to move?

Postby Mike S. » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:00 pm

I agree with Rob and Emil - if you are moving to a different field/mentor/department, it is not that big a drawback. Certainly some people will look unfavorably on it, but as someone pointed out to me, do you really want to work at a place where they cared so much about a superficiality like that that they wouldn't hire you? As Emil said, what you do is a lot more important than where you do it.
Mike S.

to move or not to move?

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:59 pm

No, it will not be career suicide and no one in industry will care. There may be some concerns from faculty search committees if you go that route, though.
Andrew

Return to Science Careers Forum