Subscribe

Forum

AgriBiotech

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

AgriBiotech

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:46 pm

Hi Cristin,

My friend Court posted a terrific statement about why he loves his job in the ag area. I wouldn't dispute this . . . he's done great. Like you, I believe his expertise was in yeast or microbiology originally.

Just remember that you get labeled by what you've done last. So, in industry, you do an ag postdoc, you are now officially an ag scientist. If knowing what you know about the supply of jobs in that sector is OK with you, than you are all set. If for some reason you may be going elsewhere down the line, such as a pharma or biotech company, it may impact your job search adversely.

Dave Jensen, Moderator

"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

AgriBiotech

Postby court » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:46 pm

Cristin

Actually,we do hire many of our Post Docs. Not all,but many. An industrial Post Doc gives both parties a chance to take a look around to see if there is a fit.Industry is not for everyone, but maybe for some. If you are interested in taking a project from start to finish alone,I predict you will not like industrial science. Projects change and staking out an area for a lifetime of research just isn't in the cards.

The work is highly collaborative (enforced!) and you need to be willing and able to hand off "the baby" to another group and then find a new project to get enthused about. Some of them can, at first, appear to be the very definition of boring, but there is something interesting in almost everything

Court
court

AgriBiotech

Postby Cristin » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:38 am

Dave and Court: Thanks for addressing my questions. It was very helpful. The agribiotech sector definitely seems to be right up my alley. Aside from how interesting I find the subject material, I don't get so attached to my projects that I can't switch to something else. Also, my current academic lab environment centers around people manipulating and backstabbing fellow labmates to steal their findings, so a collaboritive environment sounds heavenly to me. Now I have one more question for you, if you would be so kind. When do people still in graduate school generally start applying to these ag postdocs? I know for academic postdocs, I would start looking about 6 months before I planned to graduate, but I have gotten the impression that industry doesn't do things so far in advance. Thanks again. It's really difficult for me to get a good perspective on industry related things because everyone I work with seems to be so against it.
Cristin

AgriBiotech

Postby Court » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:23 pm

Cristin

I spoke with our newest Post Doc and she suggested that a search start about 6 months before you plan to finish.Because of budgeting cycles including new position requests,soon after the first of the year would be the best, I would think.

She said that the TAIR homepage (arabadopsis) had a few industrial positions but the Science Ads and company home pages (employment opportunity links) were the most fruitful. Might start with Pioneer.com (shameless plug)
Good luck
Court

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum