Subscribe

Forum

how to find a position in industry with a PhD

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:49 pm

Hi,

I guess my subject represents a very general question. Let me try to narrow it down. I like to discuss here the strategies to launch a position in industry after earning a PhD degree. Is the monster the best alternative??? Don't say networking, people even don't reply the emails sent for networking purposes. If you have an idea please describe me that so taht I can start to networking too. Is there any good job search engine out there suitable for PhD's looking something in industry?

Anyway, maybe my PhD was a mistake, but now I am pretty sure that I don't want to stay in academia. However I still couldn't figure out how not to do that. SOmebody save me from a post doc position!

Thanks,
Jay

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:59 pm

Hello Jay,

Sounds like the only kind of job search that you would be satisfied with is one in which you sit in front of your computer. While that sometimes works (Monster, etc), it is a lot rarer than you think. Less than one-third of the open positions for the life sciences are advertised (newspaper, internet, journals). That means that you'll have a shot at that one-third . . . Is that going to satisfy your needs? You'll be the judge.

Sending out emails saying that you are "looking" is not networking. Jay. No wonder that no one is responding to that. At some point, you'll need to make the decision that what you are doing isn't working. If you take a more active role in the search -- by actually talking to people like you who are in jobs now, about how they got their jobs, and about what they learned in the process -- you'll send far fewer CV's out there, and yet you'll have more action. Why is that?

It is because the job search process is set up like a funnel. There are a lot more people "looking" than actually get jobs. They go through the funnel and the ones that come out the bottom are the ones who learned the lesson that it takes an action plan, and not just a computer.

Read over the post, in the last month, from Andy about his "job search post mortem." I think that could be some valuable advice for you. No one suggests that you stop responding to ads that are a fit on the internet, but you need to supplement that activity with some action of another sort. Make it like a research project. Talk to people who are just a couple of years ahead of you.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum