Subscribe

Forum

PhD to Industry

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

PhD to Industry

Postby Melissa » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:57 am

I am a PhD student that will be graduating soon, and am interested in going into Biotech. I have no idea where to even begin, as my advisors feel an academic post-doc would be more beneficial. I would appreciate any suggestions people have on how to approach the search for a position in Biotech.
Melissa

PhD to Industry

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:28 pm

In addition to this post, I was wondering how easy is it to get a job in industry w/ a Ph.D in the life sciences?

With the possibility of so many students leaving academia and going into industry is it more competitive to obtain a position (or will it be)? Also, how easy is it to become a lab supervisor in industry as oppposed to a faculty position in academia? Does politics play a large role in obtaining a higher position?
Toby

PhD to Industry

Postby Bill L. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:15 pm

Hi Melissa,

Your question is kind of large and general (for example, you don't say what your science is or what you are interested in doing outside of academe), but if I had to tell you to start somewhere, it would be to read Peter Fiske's "Put Your Science to Work-The Take Charge Career Guide for Scientists" or "Jump Start Your Career in BioScience" by Chandra B. Louise. Both nicely cover both the career exploration and job hunting skills needed for scientists.

Be well,

Bill L. & Naledi S.
Bill L.

PhD to Industry

Postby Bill L. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:18 pm

...And Toby,

Your question really is too general to answer. It depends on your area of science, your skills, publications, what you want to do in Biotech/Pharma, how many organizations are in your area, etc.

Be well,

Bill L. & Naledi S.
Bill L.

Return to Science Careers Forum