Subscribe

Forum

Pharmaceutical visit

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Pharmaceutical visit

Postby Sam Johnson » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:21 pm

I've been a postdoc for about 1.5 years and am interested in a career in the pharmaceutical industry. I've recently been invitied to visit a large company (where I think I would like to work someday) and give a seminar while I'm there. They indicated it would be appropriate to talk about either my past or current work. To me, my graduate work is much more impressive than my postdoc results, yet I'm afraid if I don't talk about my postdoc project it will look like I haven't done anything in the last 2 years. Any thoughts?

Sam Johnson

Pharmaceutical visit

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:27 pm

Hi Sam,

Your audience will want to see examples of your critical thinking skills and some of the decisions you've made about your research. Whichever shows you off the best, use it.

However, one thing that many people do is to do an overview of both old and current research work. Take one project and really focus on it, and then provide some examples of your other work, summarizing at the end.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Pharmaceutical visit

Postby sj » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:33 pm

Thanks for the advice Dave. I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I'm really trying to make a good impression on these people. Does anyone have an idea what type of attire would be appropriate (for a man)? If it was a true job interview, I would obviously wear a suit. However, since they invited me on a recruiting trip of sorts and this is really not an official job interview, I was thinking of just wearing a sport coat and tie. Any thoughts? I know this question might sound childish but I've never been to a big pharma company and really have no idea about the etiquette.

thanks,

s
sj

Pharmaceutical visit

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:02 pm

Hi S,

In a big pharma company, most people are walking around with ties on, and its always advisable to go a step up from that for a job interview. You won't be looked at strange if you had on a suit, but your jacket and tie (with a nice pair of dress slacks and not Dockers) would probably be OK.

You never know . . . they might think it is a job interview!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum