Subscribe

Forum

Post-interview feedback - I talk too much!

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Post-interview feedback - I talk too much!

Postby D.X. » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 am

Hi SCT,

Good luck!! And take the time off from Job hunting! Nobody is going to consider your CV now and you run the risk of going into a hole by making an application this time of year. Save and Regenerate your energy now for a refreshed start in the New Year!

All the best!

DX
D.X.

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:37 am

SCT wrote:Thank you everyone for your inputs. My interview yesterday morning lasted 2.5 hours + a tour of the labs + 20 mins with the HR manager. So a bit gruelling overall, but that's how it is. I used Dave's CAR suggestion for the technical questions and I remained conscious of using the "pause" during the general discussion. Both methods helped to slow me down and actually engage with the interview panel, rather than just blurting out. I was much more in control of my thought processes and hence not letting the occasion get the better of me.

I will know about the outcome of the interview before the end of December. In the meantime - its back to job hunting - even if it is just 2 weeks to Christmas.

Thanks for the feedback and glad the forum helped! Let's keep our fingers crossed that you get the job offer!

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby SCT » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:16 am

Unfortunately I did not get the job offer. Just the standard reply "we enjoyed meeting you and were impressed by your career to date. There was strong interest in this role and I'm sorry to say that on this occasion, will not be proceeding further with your application. We wish you all the best for future."

Not a nice message to receive 3 days before christmas.

So here is my summary for 2017 - January to December:

Hundreds of jobs applied for (>500). SIX on-site interviews, FOUR first round phone interviews - no offers.

That's a very poor record over a 12 month period. PhD scientist, living in Europe's largest Biotech/science cluster (Cambridge), and nothing to show for it.
SCT

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:01 pm

SCT wrote:Unfortunately I did not get the job offer. Just the standard reply "we enjoyed meeting you and were impressed by your career to date. There was strong interest in this role and I'm sorry to say that on this occasion, will not be proceeding further with your application. We wish you all the best for future."

Not a nice message to receive 3 days before christmas.

So here is my summary for 2017 - January to December:

Hundreds of jobs applied for (>500). SIX on-site interviews, FOUR first round phone interviews - no offers.

That's a very poor record over a 12 month period. PhD scientist, living in Europe's largest Biotech/science cluster (Cambridge), and nothing to show for it.

I can't even imagine having applied for over 500 jobs.

To me -- this says something negative (ugh) and not something positive (wow, what a hard worker this guy must be, how persistent). What's the quote about my doing that same thing over and over despite the fact that it doesn't work?

"Applying" for jobs is a farce. That's all it is -- completely a waste of time. You'll need to start from scratch in 2018 with a totally updated approach. Something with a higher return than sending off hundreds of applications. Enjoy your holidays first -- relax, get creative after the New Year.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum