Subscribe

Forum

BS or MS degree?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

BS or MS degree?

Postby Alfredo Grossi » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:33 pm

I have been working in the Pharmaceutical Industry for over 5.5 years now and I am looking to go back to school. I have extensive knowledge in dosage form Formulation, Process Development, Technology Transfer, etc.

I have a BS degree in Biology, but I would like to go back to school for something that might help me advance in my career. Someone told me a degree in Chemical Engineering would be the best way to go. However, when I have asked several chemical engineers, I am getting mixed reviews. Some say to go to school and get a Masters, while others say that the Masters will not help me that much since I have a good range of experience. They tell me to go back and go for a second BS (because I would have to take those classes anyway for prerequisite classes into a Masters degree) and I would be able to get the degree faster.

Which avenue should I pursue? Is the Masters degree worth it? Will going back for a second BS be beneficial?
Alfredo Grossi

BS or MS degree?

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:53 pm

Hi Alfredo,

It's true that perhaps a second, formal engineering degree would be good for you if you intended to stay in the area of process development or moving technology from Research into the scaleup mode. For a person with a BS and more than five years of experience, however, just the engineering degree would be all that you'd need, and not necessarily the MS.

Is it REALLY beneficial in the long run? It is certainly something that only you can judge. It will give you more internal respect, more project responsibility, etc.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum