Subscribe

Forum

Industrial "White" Biotechnology - A Great Area for Careers

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:39 pm

Another area of employment which rarely gets discussed here on this forum is the field of industrial biotechnology, also known in Europe as "white" biotechnology.

This field is growing substantially and has nothing to do with human healthcare (most small biotech co's are healthcare related). Instead, this niche field is concerned with a cleaner environment and many other useable products.

Both the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) and the Royal Belgium Council of Science have released substantial reports about this field, and I have placed links to these PDF's below. I hope it will be of interest to some readers,

Dave Jensen

Belgium Report at this link.

BIO Report at this link.

"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby joseph » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:19 pm

Does this "White" biotechnology includes biochemical/ molecular studies of bioremediation to clean-up toxic environmental pollutants?

thanks
jose
joseph

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:42 pm

Yes, all environmental biotechnology is a part of this growing field,

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby joseph » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:21 am

Recently i joined a research group for my PhD, working on identification of metal-binding peptides to bioremediate metal-contaminated soils. I should be learning/using analytical biochemistry techniques like HPLC, ESI-MS, ICP-MS.

I wonder,if this is a right choice i made in relation to future job avenues? or do i need more molecular biology oriented research rather analytical biochemical?

thanks
jose
joseph

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:58 am

Joseph,

It sounds to me as if you are on the right track. Just as in human healthcare biotechnology, there are many different types of science required. No matter which side of the fence you are on, analytical biochemistry is a solid field.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum