Hiring Process in industry : How does it work?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Shehan9762 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:01 pm

Hi All,

I would like to have some insights on how the hiring process in industry works and more especially for Ph D level scientists.

How and why are openings created? Do hiring managers look into their company CV databases and dig up candidates and call them up for interviews? Ask people within the company whether they know friends of friends who are looking for a job (network)? Go on a campus recruiting? Post ads on Monster/Hotjobs... or phone up some PI's in universities ?

Sorry for being so vague but I am just curious about how a company hires these days.

Postby John G. Hoey, Ph.D. » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:58 pm

Most companies prefer to give their existing employeees the opportunity to fill vacant positions. As a general rule internal candidates more often than not have a major advantage over external candidates. In addition, many companies contract the use of "headhunters" or professional recruiting agencies to fill positions. It has been my experience that many job sites have become resume "dumping grounds".....companies tend to avoid using some of these sites because they have become filled with a lot of useless trash. There are many such sites that are still very good places for resume posting; places companies still use for obtaining is one I highly recommend.

John G. Hoey, Ph.D.

John G. Hoey, Ph.D.

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:49 pm

I've done all of these things. Generally a job will be posted internally and we'll search externally only if it doesn't get filled.

Resumes get out of date very quickly, so I don't bother with the "file" in HR. Particularly for specialties. I will however, look through anything they've picked up at a job fair the last 3 months or so.

Yes, we ask employees who they know and we pay them if we hire someone they find for us.

I have written a bunch of letters to PIs when doing a search in my own field, which was pretty effective. I don't know if I could do it outside of my own field, though.

We post general ads on Monster, which probably drives some traffic to the recruiting web site. It costs money, so they wouldn't do it if it didn't work to some extent.

We do on campus recruiting and job fairs and I sometimes send a chemist along with the HR folks for the experience. I've done a couple myself.

Postby Alfred » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:29 am

I can provide a little insight as to how it works at one small biotech. Our search for any new hire, Ph.D. level or not always starts with asking current employees about colleagues. I'd say that over 75% of the employees here had a connection of one sort or another to a previous hire. Most of the time we don't go out looking for Ph.D. level folks; we'll hire someone on the basic premise that if we hire someone truly excellent, we will find a niche for them.

I suppose the lessons here are: networking pays off and don't wait for a job advertisement to apply.

Return to Science Careers Forum