Subscribe

Forum

reasonable wait time after applying

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Kevin » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:37 pm

After getting advice from these forums I started on the networking path to getting a job at the begining of the year. Through various means I have gotten copies of my resume into the hands of several HR reps or Dept managers at different companies both large and small and have begun to build relationships with these people (started that part first, then later on got them copies of my resume.) In addition, I have gone to several job fairs and even a couple of open-houses held by some of the companies I have been applying to.

After applying for openings, and in some cases conducting initial interviews, I sent out follow-ups to the people I applied with or interviewed with and also mailed them thank you cards.

It has now been anywhere from 2 weeks to a month since I have heard from these people and now I am wondering if these particular cases are dead ends or if I just need to be patient for a while longer. Prior to attempting networking, the biggest frustration in my job search was never hearing back, good or bad and I find that it might be happening again.

On the flip side, I know that since it is the first quarter, many companies are still gearing back up from the holiday break and are determining their hiring budgets so this may be the main reason for the current wait.

So, what is a reasonable waiting time to expect between applying for a position and getting called in for an interview? Location is Southern CA, industries are Defense, Aerospace, and Electronics, and positions are B.S. entry level with 0-2 years of experience.
Kevin

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:09 am

Hi Kevin

Although this forum is centered around the life sciences, your newly developing networking skills will work for you in any industry job search.

The rules of wait-time seem to be the same, despite whatever scenario you find yourself in. Once you go to a first interview, you need to close that day with a very direct question to your contacts about what the next step will be. Then, followup on that timeline.

If it has been more than 2 weeks, you ought to followup.

Dave Jensen
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Kevin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:14 pm

Thanks Dave. For most of them its getting around that 2 week time, time to drop them a line :)
Kevin

Return to Science Careers Forum